Got my first Mac today!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP 13" 2.3ghz i5 4GB RAM 320GB
My wife and I have been life-long PC users, and we always have had bad luck with them. They never last long, require frequent formats to keep them clean and running smoothly, and just aren't as cool.

My PC bit the dust the other day, and my wife was kind enough to give me a graduation/early Christmas present and let me purchase a MacBook Pro today. I got the MC700, and I am in love. Still working through the adjustment period, obviously.

I am extremely impressed with the logical flow of the OS (Lion). Everything makes sense. Everything is where it should be. I don't need to mess with it or create endless folder structures in an attempt to stay organized. So far, so good!

Also, I'm going from a 17" to a 13" display, and it doesn't bother me one bit. The quality of the display is far superior, and because of the efficient layout, I have no issue with the smaller size.

I'm going to continue doing research and working my way through things to understand how "it" works, and I know where to go to if I have any questions!

-Matt

Reaction score
Good feeling that. I haven't been disappointed one bit since the switch last spring. Took me a while to twig to Lion's desktops, but now I'm hooked on them. Learning new tricks very week.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hi Matt and welcome to the forums . . .
Ill just drop you a few links and Apps to look at. Any questions be sure to pop back in.

Have a look at these for starters .....
Mac Switching 101
Mac 101
MacTricksAndTips ~ 100 Essential Mac Apps
Mac OS Menu Bar Items
Mac OS Keyboard Shortcuts
Mac downloads ~ Apple

Adium ~ Chat Client
Growl Notifications
SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner ~ Both make bootable copies of your HD
HandBrake ~ Video Converting
Burn ~ As it says A Burning App
Transmission ~ p2p client
Skitch ~ Screen capture and more
VLC ~ Video player that plays most codecs and does a lot more
Perian and Flip4Mac Makes watching certain codecs easier ... This is Essential IMHO
Audacity ~ Play with Music App
CandyBar ~ Mods all your icons, and dock
MainMenu or Oynx ~ Does the same as Disk utility only more thorough
Quicksilver ~ Works like Spotlight but way way better and does so much more
StuffitExpander ~ Opens Zip and rar files and more
Lil Snitch ~ Firewall type App that looks at your incoming and outgoing traffic
and last but certainly not least .....
AppTrap ~ Once installed it sits in System Preferences and deletes all associated files of anything that you put in the trash ...

Should keep you busy for a while lol
HTH

Cheers

EDIT : There are a lot of good Apps already on your Mac so look there first. These i posted are some of the common ones used by Mac users.

Reaction score
My wife and I have been life-long PC users, and we always have had bad luck with them. They never last long, require frequent formats to keep them clean and running smoothly, and just aren't as cool.

My PC bit the dust the other day, and my wife was kind enough to give me a graduation/early Christmas present and let me purchase a MacBook Pro today. I got the MC700, and I am in love. Still working through the adjustment period, obviously.

I am extremely impressed with the logical flow of the OS (Lion). Everything makes sense. Everything is where it should be. I don't need to mess with it or create endless folder structures in an attempt to stay organized. So far, so good!

Also, I'm going from a 17" to a 13" display, and it doesn't bother me one bit. The quality of the display is far superior, and because of the efficient layout, I have no issue with the smaller size.

I'm going to continue doing research and working my way through things to understand how "it" works, and I know where to go to if I have any questions!

-Matt

Congrats on the new Mac !. Have fun with it !

Reaction score
Welcome aboard. I recently made the switch too and I'm absolutely in love. Can't believe it took me this long. I'm just saving now to get rid of my desktop and get an iMac :) Hope we can both learn quick :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm in the same boat - next on the list is replacing my wife's PC with a MacBook Pro. We'll be PC-free pretty soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Congratulations! I think you will love this forum! :)
If you have any problems or concerns, feel free to ask!
Remember, if you have something to ask, double check by searching the threads to see if it's been mentioned before.

Welcome!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Happy to say that I got my second Mac yesterday! Got an iMac, gave my wife the MBP. No more PC for us!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15, 2.2ghz, 4G ram 10.9
Grats on the new mac! I am still enjoying the newness of mine a little over a month into it. I have to tell you this is one of the best places bar none that I have found to get help. If you have a question this is the place to put it. Happy days.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.