Fans

E

Equin

Hey everybody

I have a 15" PB Al, 1.5 GHz - 10.4 Tiger

Whenever I am heavily using my PB, it will get extremely hot. The fans never speed up. I can hear them working if I listen closely, but the speed never adjusts.

I put in the test CD that came with my Mac. When it went to test the fans, they sped up and sounded like a turbine engine.

Could there be a setting that I am not seeing? Does OS X Tiger not have good fan support?

Thanks!
-Equin

OP
M

menace3054

my fans never get that loud either, i dont think you need to worry. IF they needed to come on, they would. the laptops have a setting where the shut down if they get too hot, so as long as that didnt happen, you dont need to worry

OP
E

Equin

I suppose. Though when I play games, etc, the bottom of the laptop gets hot enough to burn your hand within a second, easily 200 degrees.

OP
B

Biturbo V12 AMG

I dont think its 200 more like 115-120 80 degrees after 120 is a big change. after living in arizona for my whole life and having to touch hot concrete thats around 180 degrees the hottest my powerbook has gotten playing games is no where near 180 degrees.

Reaction score
My fans have come on 2 times in two years running Panther, after installing Tiger, my fans came on 4 times in a hour, needless to say Tiger to me was no biggy, put Panther back on. My fans haven't came on since.. Tiger isn't worth it in my opinion. I have a 17in.PB

OP
D

djeddiebear

Well it is a powerbook, and the aluminum chasis makes it act like a big heatsink.

Reaction score
Well it is a powerbook, and the aluminum chasis makes it act like a big heatsink.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.