SSH'ing to mac.

T

tphiptop

Hey guys, back again.

I was wondering something. I am behind my Airport Express router and I was looking to SSH into my computer from another terminal or computer. I have the file sharing ssh thing on, except I have no idea on the whole port thing, and if it's already set or not. Also, BECAUSE i'm behind a router, i don't know what IP to use at all.

So all I need to know is.

1. Can I ssh into it.
2. If so, How do I port forward, if i even need to, using the airport express.
3. IP? What do I use?
4. Any other tips

Thanks!

Reaction score
1. Yes
2. Go to Airport Express Utility, then go under Port Mapping
3. Go to your network preferences, it will tell you your local IP address, that is the one you need to forward the ports to
4. If you go to where you turned on Remote Login, it will tell you the port number that you need to forward.

OP
G

ghostrida

just a couple things.

-make sure you have turned on remote login under Sharing in system preferences and that you have unblocked the Remote Login - SSH if you have OS X's built in firewall on.

-you should have static ip's if you plan on logging in from outside of your network

-go to your routers setup utility and make sure you forward port 22 to the ip address of the computer running SSH

-if you are logging in from within your own network then you do not have to port forward and you can just use your computers name to login.

you probably know all this since you are using ssh to begin with, but thought i would include it in the thread.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.