• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

The iPhone 4s/5 and the new iPod Touch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
With all of the speculation flying around about what the new iPhone 4S/5 is going to be there have been a ton of "leaks" involving device specs, case designs, and even the home button changing.

The two camps right now seem to be the "iPhone 5" with a smooth case back and "iPad 2" sort of feel:
BGR-iphone-5-teaser1.jpg

BGR-IMG_02111.jpg

Which seems to be quite popular with Jon Geller over at BGR, and there is a lot of evidence that would seem to back it up.
Cases for this thing are popping up everywhere, and I can't imagine that stuff would ship to retail for no reason.
AT&T
Screen-shot-2011-09-30-at-8.21.38-AM.png

Casemate
iphone-5-design110915160526.jpg

Silicon
9to5maciphone5casetwo110727192547.jpg

Then at the same time you have some very interesting thoughts all over the web on the iPhone 4S...
It's been in the iTunes Beta Releases and of course there are a few sites that have made some bold predictions like 9to5 Mac's well versed argument on the iPhone 4S. Even Apple's supposed models numbering has this phone as the N94 vs the current generation N90. How big of a change can it be when you're only adding four to the model number? :D On the invitations Apple practically told us already... It indicates "1" phone.

The one thing that has gone pretty much on it's own way is the iPod touch. There is a lot of thought about the Classic and the Shuffle being disco'd, but the only supposed news about the iPod Touch is that it's going to come in white...

All of this has me thinking one thing. The iPod touch may be this years surprise. What if the teardrop shaped device above is the iPod touch, and the N94 is an iPhone 4 with upgraded internals?

Let me back this one up a bit...

The cases showing up everywhere are probably the biggest thing to make the iPhone 5 look real, but the iPod touch with a 5MP rear camera including a flash and a thin form factor slaps right into one of those cases. The slightly larger screen can easily be the current resolution (960x640) in about a four inch form factor. Apps would still look great, and there are a lot of four inch devices on the market running at a lower resolution (in fact most of the four inch devices on the market are lower resolution) so Apple would still have the high ground there.
The thinner form factor will require a smaller battery. An A4 chip with 512mb of memory in the new iPod touch will be significantly less hard on a smaller battery than the hardware expected in the new iPhone (A5-1GB RAM-Qualcomm Gobi Chipset). And lets not forget the fact that Apple has ordered millions of them already. (Heck, the Touch may even have 3G data, which would explain why AT&T is getting the cases.)

Then there is the last, and most obvious indicator that the iPod Touch may be getting some love this October. It looks like the Classic and perhaps even the Shuffle are gone. The market would be ripe for the iPod Touch and the iPod Touch (XL?). Two touch devices to go along with the Nano.
The iPod Touch will maintain it's current form while the Touch (XL?) would be bigger, better, etc... Perhaps the 3G data and 128GB of flash storage...

If nothing else, I am excited about what we will see next Tuesday.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Actually, there have been NO iPhone "leaks." They're all speculations, not leaks. Someone posting a photo online of a mock iPhone5 case means nothing considering that China produces anticipated knock off items, for devices that haven't gone into production, every day. Of course they're going to be the ones to make it! Remember what happened when the Iphone4 first came out? Cases were almost non existent unless you went to some cheap crap on ebay.

Reaction score
Tomorrow is the day expected to launch the new iphone5 and the Apple site doesn't mention anything about it, at least they can deny it or let the people know what is going on! I have been waiting for months and I am not going to buy iphone 4 if nothing was released I'll go for Galaxy.

Reaction score
Apple insider news, confirmed by AT&T processing, iPhone 5 will be announced on 10/4 but not released until later date. Instead, Apple will released a toned down version of iPhone 4 with 8GB memroy, and it's called iPhone 4GS. The size of iPhone 4 and iPhone 4GS are exactly the same, so iPhone 4 cases such as this one Amazon.com: JustCase Slim Apple iPhone 4 4GS Poly Carbonate Case Ultra Slim Holds AT&T and Verizon Barely There (Red): Electronics can work on 4GS. This seller even updated the title name to 4GS, before the official release. Well, just one more day to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
Tomorrow is the day expected to launch the new iphone5 and the Apple site doesn't mention anything about it, at least they can deny it or let the people know what is going on! I have been waiting for months and I am not going to buy iphone 4 if nothing was released I'll go for Galaxy.

Um, this is how Apple does business. They already sent out invitations regarding an iPhone announcement for tomorrow.

Reaction score
Apple insider news, confirmed by AT&T processing, iPhone 5 will be announced on 10/4 but not released until later date. Instead, Apple will released a toned down version of iPhone 4 with 8GB memroy, and it's called iPhone 4GS. The size of iPhone 4 and iPhone 4GS are exactly the same, so iPhone 4 cases such as this one Amazon.com: JustCase Slim Apple iPhone 4 4GS Poly Carbonate Case Ultra Slim Holds AT&T and Verizon Barely There (Red): Electronics can work on 4GS. This seller even updated the title name to 4GS, before the official release. Well, just one more day to go.

you'd think that would be a stupid move because if people know of the empending 5 why would they buy the 4S??

OP
_Stormin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
you'd think that would be a stupid move because if people know of the empending 5 why would they buy the 4S??

Rumor is that the iPhone 4S will be available immediately at a cheaper price. A ton of people will pay $99 for the 4S because they want an iPhone and have no desire to pay $199+ for the 5...

Especially if the 4S is relatively cheap off contract.

OP
_Stormin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, there have been NO iPhone "leaks." They're all speculations, not leaks.

Then what do you call the 4s references in iOS Beta?

How about the leaked N94 device ID?

And what about all of the photos from Foxconn's Brazil plant?

The 64GB iPhone 4 chassis that has been in several pics online? (Honestly, taking the chip out of the logic board and soldering in a 64 GB chip and then modifying iOS to recognize it would be a bit much for even the boldest scammer to get some pics on MacRumors/BGR/Gizmodo/etc...)

There haven't been many leaks, but there have been leaks. There have been no Apple leaks about the potential for a "5" but plenty of a modified 4. Except for those cases shipping to retailers and being on reputable mfgs sites. That makes me think that those cases have a purpose.

Reaction score
Um, this is how Apple does business. They already sent out invitations regarding an iPhone announcement for tomorrow.

Apple used to announce the products couple of months before being in the market..

Well this is the new iphone:

title_hero.png

There is a speculation that Apple will release 2 iphones : iphone 4s and iphone5...is it possible?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.