iMac External Display Issue, *VGA to Composite Video Adapter

Reaction score
Just bought a new iMac running latest version of Lion with latest mini-display port to VGA adapter,

Needing to run a "VGA to Composite Video Adapter" with the external display port, but Lion is not seeing the "VGA to Composite" adapter when plugged in, (Needing composite video for a video mixer with composite/svideo inputs)

Tried going into display settings to turn on the external display output when plugged into the VGA to Composite Video Adapter, but unable to turn on the external display port unless the mini-display port to VGA adapter is plugged directly into a VGA monitor,

Called Apple Care and they told me there is no way to manually turn on the mini display port unless it is plugged into a VGA monitor, or device that can be seen by the iMac,

I explained to Apple Care that with a basic windows machine I can go to display settings and turn on the external VGA port and configure the output settings without anything being plugged into it, but they confirmed that there is no way to do this with the iMac or with my new Macbook Pro, and suggested I post this question in a forum for support...

Is it just me...? Seems that apple is now more interested in making consumer products than professional products... (e.g. FCPX) Feeling very ripped-off at this point and am thinking about dumping my new apple gear on ebay and switching to windows machines for future professional use,

Question is, Does anyone know of a VGA to Composite Video Adapter that can be seen by the mini-display port for use with iMac and/or Mac Book Pro?

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
OP
L
Reaction score
Just looked at the "connecting your mac to your TV" and this was helpful:
"For composite and S-video, you'll need a converter along with the above adapters. A simple adapter will not work. You must have a converter. These were all around $100 when first released. But, have I got a deal for you.
At under $30, head over to monoprice again.
For those that prefer Amazon, the currently best reviewed one is here.

Both of these are powered by USB. I believe both models have a composite cable and the monoprice model includes an S-Video cable.

You cannot use an adapter, such as one of these, instead of a converter. An adapter and a converter are two different items."

Looking for a high-quality converter, ($30 converter mentioned above seems too cheap to be reliable...) can anyone suggest a HQ converter for under $200 that has been tested for use with mini-display port?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Maybe you should go check the existing 216 reviews of that converter.

You do not need to spend that sort of money and will not get one any more reliable for $150. You'll just get ripped off. My guess, you've never heard of monoprice.com.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks so much for time and help!

I checked out the unit on monoprice.com, looks like it would work but am looking for something more industrial,

Found this Kramer VGA scan converter @ B&H, (just called them and they will let them go for $306 at discount) this:Kramer VP-501XL Scan Converter VP-501XL B&H Photo Video

Have used Kramer stuff in the past with good luck, they build to military spec, made in Israel (very durable and reliable stuff), But...am not sure if the iMac and/or Macbook will see this unit, and turn on the mini-display port... (and of coarse B&H will not test prior to shipping...)

Thinking to order one with 30 day return policy and give it a shot, Any thoughts?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's definitely a whole different animal than any of the <$150 converters.

If what you need is pro-industrial, Kramer does make some durable high-end equipment. If you're already dealing with BNC and 4 pin S-video connectors already, then it's up your alley. And it will output to both simultaneously.

I would think that it will work - but, you could always shoot Kramer an email or better yet call their pre-sales support at 800.606.6969.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.