Please help !! Bar appears sometimes when I boot then....

Reaction score
HI there

OS is Lion, as it came preinstalled, Software update is unto date

I hope someone can help me.

I purchased a new iMac i7 anout 3 weeks ago. I am used to macs, so decided to buy a desk top.

I have noticed that sometimes, i turn the computer on, the greet apple screen appears, then underneath there is a progress bar that only seems to go half way across as the computer boots up, then when the desk top appears it seems very sluggish and as screen refresh is slow, also menu commands at the top are slow at responding.

The only way I can get out of this is to reboot again, and then things are normal.

Its a new machine, the only software I have on it is Aperture. Thats as far as I have got with it.

The only thing I have done, is I have installed another 12 gig of memory in the machine, that was easy enough. I am thinking of taking it out to see if it is a memory fault. Memory was from crucial

I have run apples diagnostic software and all seems to be ok. It even says the memory is ok.

Any ideas as I live quite a way from an apple store.

Thank you and hope someone can give me any clues as to what is happening

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It sounds like it's coming out of hibernation (or "Safe Sleep"). When you're finished using it, do you normally shut it down completely or put it to sleep?

OP
M
Reaction score
Hiya

I always shut it down, when I have finished using it.

The bar I see is like the one you used to see when a Firmware update was in progress. Its on the screen as the apple appears underneath

Kev

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
perhaps you might ring apple instead of going there in person. As it is only 3 weeks only i suspect there may be some sort of warranty that covers start up?? guessing here though.

Did you install aperture yourself? if you did, how about uninstalling it and then see if it resolves the issues. not sure what to do if it fixes it though, but at least it would narrow down the options.

as you say, go back to the memory thing. did you buy the correct memory? i think i have read that the memory has to match the computer etc....as not all memory will work in all machines..

anyway that's as much as i can advise.

good luck

J

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.