On My Mac mail question

Reaction score
Well, another fine mess I've gotten myself into. I was having lots of problems with my Apple Mail including MobileMe and my Time Warner (no comment) accounts. So I deleted MM and added it back in. It's now working, however my "on my mac" mail folders are gone. I had SO much saved in them!

And just to compound my idiocy, my back up drive failed about a week ago - my third LaCie with the infamous power problems, so I don't have a backup. Of course, even if I did, I would go back to the mail issues.

So - is there any way I can somehow find the folders? They've got to be on here somewhere! Any help would be enormously appreciated. Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sorry to hear of your dilemmas. About the only thing I can suggest for now is to use recovery software. The best in my opinion is Data Rescue 3 but it's a bit pricey at $99. You can download a trial copy to see if it will work to find your mail folders before buying.

A couple of notes of caution: If possible, do not use your hard drive until you recover the folders. Any writing to the hard drive could overwrite the folders. Also, recovery software should be run from either an external hard drive, flash drive, or the disk itself. You don't want to install it on the hard drive again for fear of overwriting. You can also run recovery software from another Mac using Target Disk Mode.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your advice. I guess I'll need to decide how badly I need these files back. And I wasn't aware of the potential overwriting issue. Now to order a new back up drive immediately! Once again, thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.