• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

IDVD crashes when trying to burn a dvd!!!

Reaction score
IDVD VERSION: 7.1.1
ENCODING: Best performance
VIDEO MODE: NTSC

IMOVIE VERSION: 9.0.2

Hey there

I spent TONS of time creating a bunch of videos on IMOVIE, and i imported all of them to IDVD

There are 11 videos on the project, which adds up to 39 minutes of video and 2.16gb of space

Each video has its own submenu

I am using Maxwell dvd-r 4.7gb 16x discs

But when it is in the stage in which it renders the minus, it will go for about 20 minutes, and then it will "Unexpectedly quit"

WHAT DO I DO!! I worked so hard on this and need this to work

I know that the dvds worked because i tested one with just 1 video on it and it worked perfectly, so is it maybe that there are so many videos on it?

IDK what to do... I really need help and cant have this project go to waste

Thanks for your help in advance

C

chas_m

In my experience, this sort of problem is nearly ALWAYS due to a lack of free space on the boot drive. You need ENORMOUS amounts of free space on a drive to burn a DVD, particularly when so many movies need to be converted to MPEG-2 etc.

It's also possible that your optical drive is kaput, but 99 times out of 100 so far when clients have complained to me about this, it was a free space issue.

OP
M
Reaction score
In my experience, this sort of problem is nearly ALWAYS due to a lack of free space on the boot drive. You need ENORMOUS amounts of free space on a drive to burn a DVD, particularly when so many movies need to be converted to MPEG-2 etc.

It's also possible that your optical drive is kaput, but 99 times out of 100 so far when clients have complained to me about this, it was a free space issue.

I have 4gb of ram

and when i look at my activity monitor found in my utilities folder, it shows, that when i have my idvd project open, that I have 2.3gb of free space still

My hard drive has 228gb free of 319

C

chas_m

"free space" refers to the hard drive. Has nothing at all to do with RAM, and RAM doesn't really play into this situation.

You appear to have plenty of free space on your boot drive, so that's not the issue. It's not RAM either -- you have plenty of that. You said that you were able to successfully burn ONE video, so I don't think the DVD burner is the issue either.

My only suggestion would be to try, instead of burning directly to DVD, instead try saving the project as a disc image (you'd save that on your boot drive somewhere). Let us know if that works. Also, and I assume you know this, but don't run any other programs while its doing this, which may help.

OP
M
Reaction score
am I able to transfer the idvd file to another macbook to try? or will that not work

C

chas_m

Okay, so we've established that the problem is NOT a question of RAM and NOT a question of hard drive space -- you have plenty of both.

We've also established that it has nothing to do with the optical drive, since you have the same problem when trying to save it as a disc image.

This leads me to believe that the problem is located in the project itself -- one of the movies is in a format that won't convert properly or is corrupt, causing the entire project to quit. Are there mixed format movies in your project?

OP
M
Reaction score
I did a test

I individually made disk images of EVERY movie file that was in the project and they all worked perfectly fine

The problem must lie somewhere between all of the submenus

C

chas_m

Well done, I think you are on the right track. iDVD isn't really set up to handle more movies than would fit more than a main menu.

Is there some way the small videos can be consolidated? If not, I'd have to suggest an alternate DVD-building program like Toast.

OP
M
Reaction score
Problem Solved

I did some research and realized how much memory the drop zones and music in each menu actually takes up

So I reduced the length of the music loop to 30 seconds in each submenu

and I also removed the drop zone entirely in each submenu
(I had the same looping video in each drop zone on every submenu, but instead of having it in every menu, I only showed it on the Main Menu)

I then saved it as an image file, and burned it using disk utility. Worked like a charm

C

chas_m

May I say BRAVO. You deserve a pat on the back both for your tenacity and ingenuity. Thanks especially for sharing your solution so that others can benefit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.