eMac Upgrade

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Emac
Hello all!

I've recently bought an apple eMac from my mate, and I'm looking to upgrade it so it's bearable to actually work with.

I've had a quick search through already, and understand these can be upgraded to 2gb ram. Question is, how do I find out the spec already? I understand there were quite a few models around, and i'm not sure what model/spec it is (I usually use windows, so Mac is all new to me).

Any suggestions on where to get the Ram from?

Hard drives aswell?

Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Apple Logo > About this mac. Post back here what it says. :)

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Emac
Version: MAC-OS z1 - 9.2.2
MAC OS Rom: 10.2.1

Built in memory: 128mb

MAC OS: 40.9mb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Hmm, you must be booted into Mac OS 9, which I'm not very familiar with. Is there another operating system on the eMac? Mactracker shows that the earlier eMacs came with Both Mac OS 9, and OS X 10.1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
Hi, try holding the 'x' key while booting and this should get the eMac to start in OS X if it's installed as MacDude thinks may be the case.

Then do the apple symbol thing in the top left hand corner, click About This Mac, the More Info, and let us have the details.

Am in the UK and may have some compatible RAM for you as I've just upgraded my eMac.
As for hard drive, any desktop IDE drive should be OK up to I'm not sure what size limit, but these machines are very well built and a bugger to get into to change drives.

Cheers :)

Hugh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It is the very first eMac, 700 or 800MHz, as all other models after that came with OS X installed. The maximum memory is 1GB and you can upgrade the operating system to Tiger OS X.4.11 but with only 1GB of memory do not expect too much as it is what is termed, without offence, an obsolete machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Pull down the optical drive door and note down the detail of what is printed on the inside of it. The info will tell you (and us) just what model of eMac you have.

The last of the eMac models, with the 1.42 GHz processor, is still officially supported.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.