External Hard Drive Recommendations?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Looks like my three year old Freecom Pro drive has bitten the dust as my iMac can no longer it's existence. As it's a few years since I researched this purchase has anyone any recommendations for hard drives that are currently available in the UK? I need 1TB, Firewire 800 and encryption or other security functionality? Any takers?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Looks like my three year old Freecom Pro drive has bitten the dust as my iMac can no longer it's existence. As it's a few years since I researched this purchase has anyone any recommendations for hard drives that are currently available in the UK? I need 1TB, Firewire 800 and encryption or other security functionality? Any takers?
I haven't tried anything larger than 500Gb because a major thing to me is small size, but I have had good performance with Seagate Go Flex drives (FW800 version).
They can be hard to purchase because almost the only way to guarantee what you are getting is to order by model number as Seagate has several similarly named models.
I am currently using four, all Filevault2 which with Lion makes the encryption almost seamless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Along with Razormac's suggestion the WD MyBook Studio another good choice.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Along with Razormac's suggestion the WD MyBook Studio another good choice.

This was my first choice util I discovered it wasn't bootable when used with a mac. Sorry I should have added that criteria.

CORRECTION - Western Digital tell me that it IS bootable although many reader reviews suggest the opposite.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I haven't tried anything larger than 500Gb because a major thing to me is small size, but I have had good performance with Seagate Go Flex drives (FW800 version).
They can be hard to purchase because almost the only way to guarantee what you are getting is to order by model number as Seagate has several similarly named models.
I am currently using four, all Filevault2 which with Lion makes the encryption almost seamless.

So I can use Filevault on the hard drive alone, ie not on the mac itself? How seemless is it? Once logged into my account do I need to enter a separate password to access my hard drive - planning on using it for Time machine as well as CCC - in separate partitions. The Apple 'help' pages online make it look rather complex.

Have been looking at the Seagate drives - they look good. Also the Iomega do a nice range at the momnet but reviews seem few and far between.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I can use Filevault on the hard drive alone, ie not on the mac itself? How seemless is it? Once logged into my account do I need to enter a separate password to access my hard drive - planning on using it for Time machine as well as CCC - in separate partitions. The Apple 'help' pages online make it look rather complex.

Have been looking at the Seagate drives - they look good. Also the Iomega do a nice range at the momnet but reviews seem few and far between.

When you format the drive using DU, choose Extended Journaled (Encrypted). Set the password and you are good to go.
Plugging in or mounting the drive brings up a window to ask for your password. After that Lion treats it as any other external drive. You can do the same thing with USB Flashdrives also.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you format the drive using DU, choose Extended Journaled (Encrypted). Set the password and you are good to go.
Plugging in or mounting the drive brings up a window to ask for your password. After that Lion treats it as any other external drive. You can do the same thing with USB Flashdrives also.

Thank you Razormac. Just got to choose one now as I don't think my Freecom drive is going to come back to life.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Am getting close to getting an Iomega Mac Companion 2Tb drive. Anyone got any views as to using the Iomega Encryption Utility over Filevault?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
In searching out an EHD recommendation for a friend in the UK recently, I read some (seriously) negative reviews of the Iomega, with one writer raging 'ANYthing but Iomega'. Make of that what you will, but read reviews extensively before making a decision. I suggest you stick with the better-known brands like Hitachi, Seagate or Western Digital.

The FW800 factor will come from the enclosure, and, if you're in the market for a new one, I recommend buying from OWC, even with the added cost of importing. The Oxford chipset is highly recommended.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks hughvane for your input. I read that WD fill their drives with bloatware that you cannot get rid of and I've read more negative reports on Seagate than on Iomega. In fact most of the Iomega reviews I've read have been glowing. Perhaps I'll dig a litle deaper in my review search.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Thanks hughvane for your input. I read that WD fill their drives with bloatware that you cannot get rid of and I've read more negative reports on Seagate than on Iomega. In fact most of the Iomega reviews I've read have been glowing. Perhaps I'll dig a litle deaper in my review search.

If what I read a while back ago is correct Seagate and WD have bought up most of the other HD co's so you might be getting one of their drives with
someone else's name on it. As for the bloatware I believe one of the tech mags said it was on a separate chip which really does not affect the actual drive for storage lost but I agree I never use theirs or anyone else back up software other than Time Machine and CCC.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

So I've got my hard disk, a 2TB Iomega eGo and set about partitioning it but I don't see the Extended Journaled (Encrypted) option or indeed any encrypted options. I'm running OSX 10.6.8 on an iMac with 500GB hard drive and have set the partition scheme to GUID.

Any offers? I'd like all patitions to be encrypted ideally. and I think the names I've chosen give the game away as to what each partition will be used for.

Screen shot 2011-10-27 at 13.42.56.png

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I've got my hard disk, a 2TB Iomega eGo and set about partitioning it but I don't see the Extended Journaled (Encrypted) option or indeed any encrypted options. I'm running OSX 10.6.8 on an iMac with 500GB hard drive and have set the partition scheme to GUID.

Any offers? I'd like all patitions to be encrypted ideally. and I think the names I've chosen give the game away as to what each partition will be used for.

My Bad!
I somehow thought you were running OS X 10.7 (Lion) which I refered to when I mentioned using FileVault2.
I apologize profusely for steering you wrong on that.

FileVault2 is a feature (and in my opinion one of the better features) of Lion. You can achieve similar results in Snow Leopard but you have to use Disk Utility to create an encrypted Disk Image on your HD.

I'm not on my Mac, but I think you reach that option through

New>Blank Disk Image>Encrypted

Will try to chase down detailed instructions (providing I remember) for how to do that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.