need help with double clicking mechanism

Reaction score
hi i bought a used macbook pro 2010 and i am having trouble with the tracking pad. when i open my mail program, and i double click a message it won't open it only gives me a pop up window with open and the list of actions, then i have to click open. how can i activate double clicking option? How can i get rid of pop up directional windows popping up incessantly?
thanks,
skimi2

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I've moved your post to a more proper forum; please be sure to check the forum descriptions in the future to find the best place to post.

By posting in the right forum you help people not only find your question faster, but it helps others looking for the same information in the future.

Thanks for understanding!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Hello and welcome to MacForums...without a bit more info ( OS ) I can't be sure of the exact key strokes but if you feel it is just a setting then you will find them at...

sys pref / track pad

from there you will be able to set your pad to your liking and watch a bit of video explaining the process

Hope this helps

Clay

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It sounds as if you are actually right-clicking - the menu you see is the menu you get after pressing the right-side button on the mouse or tapping with two fingers on the trackpad. If you happen to be double tapping your trackpad with two fingers, you will get that menu. Should this be the case, make sure to double tap with only one finger.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.