Can't delete or reformat bootcamp partition

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 3.06 GHz - 4 GB DDR3 ram - '08 MB 8GB ram - iPhone 3g (cracked screen D: )
I'm having a problem with my Windows 7 partition with Bootcamp. I wanted to delete the partition to reinstall a larger partition and reinstall Windows. However...when I run bootcamp assistant to remove the windows partition, says "The disk is not journaled" and bootcamp assistant cannot be used. I open Disk Utilities, select my windows/bootcamp partition (which is grayed out on left tab and says its "unmounted"). I cannot erase it because it tries and says "Volume Erase Failed...POSIX reports: the operation couldn't be completed. Resource busy"

Any help would be great. If I restart and hold Alt to choose windows/mac to start into...only Mac is listed now. I just want to get rid of the 2nd partition on my main disk and start over with Bootcamp.

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Boot the machine with your original install DVD and run Disk Utility from the DVD. By using Disk Utility you can remove the partition and reset the disk.

Also for future reference, it's not necessary to remove the BC partition in order to make it larger. Just use CampTune.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Boot the machine with your original install DVD and run Disk Utility from the DVD. By using Disk Utility you can remove the partition and reset the disk.

Also for future reference, it's not necessary to remove the BC partition in order to make it larger. Just use CampTune.

Just making sure...this won't affect/reformat my main Drive/mac partition, no?

thanks!

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, figured that out and I erased the partition by booting from OSX disk. However, the actual partition still exists. When I open and try to run Bootcamp Assistant to re-do the entire process of installing Windows...I get the following pop up error...

"The startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition. The startup disk must be formatted as a single Mac OS Extended (Journal) volume or already partitioned by Boot Camp Assistant for installing Windows."

I have no clue what that means or what step to take next.

Any help would be great...again haha.

thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yeah, unfortunately that means erasing the disk, formatting, and starting over.

Do this: Make a Time Machine backup of all your data. Boot again with your install disk and use Disk Utility to erase the drive, format it as Mac OS Extended Journaled, GUID scheme. Name the drive MacIntosh HD.

Reinstall OS X, but as you proceed you'll be asked if you would like to migrate or restore data from Time Machine. Respond OK. Make sure your Time Machine external drive is attached and it will restore automatically.

After restoring, reboot and run Boot Camp again. It should work this time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.