n00b question...be gentle

Reaction score
So i inherited a Power Mac G5 recently and I am working my way through all of it. this morning i was able to connect to my windows machine through Finder > Connect to Server. When i get into the drive i want to access, I can see ALL file minus the video files I am trying to access. that folder shows completely empty. Any ideas why?

thanks in advance. i look forward to reading many topics on this site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Can't think why. If a file is there, it should show in Finder regardless of it's type.

Reaction score
Just a thought...
You didn't name all the videos beginning with a period did you?
(hey you never know...)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Just a thought...
You didn't name all the videos beginning with a period did you?
(hey you never know...)

That's a good point.

OS X recognizes the file as "hidden" if it is prefixed with a ".". Otherwise, it should show up in the Finder, provided that the files are unrestricted by the host.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
So, how do you know the files are in that folder if they're not showing up? Just askin'. What is the folder's size?

By the way, you might get more responses to your issue if it was described in the topic tile you use. Just a tip for the future...

OP
C
Reaction score
@ cradom...so i checked the windows machine, none of the file names have a leading period.
@toMACsh...I am gonna go with I know the files are in the folder because I can access them on the windows machine, and browse to them from my PS3.

I might mention that this is the only folder like this as well. I can access my pictures folder, my music folder, and all files are visible. It is only my Videos that i cannot see. It is not reading anything in that folder, doesn't show a file size or anything.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I would say maybe a sharing permissions issue but if the PS3 sees them, I doubt it.

I wonder what is different about that folder? Try moving one of the videos from that folder to another that you can view all files in and see if it shows up there.

OP
C
Reaction score
@ dtravis7...weirdest thing ever (can't believe I didn't try this before) but that actually works. Something about that folder.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Check (In Windows) The sharing settings on that folder. Maybe something is set different. Try manually sharing just that folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
@
@toMACsh...I am gonna go with I know the files are in the folder because I can access them on the windows machine, and browse to them from my PS3
;D That was good info to share! I'm with you.

@ dtravis7...weirdest thing ever (can't believe I didn't try this before) but that actually works. Something about that folder.
So are you gonna move them all to another folder and delete the other one?

OP
C
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in response...I ended up moving the files to another folder and deleting the original folder. All is well now. thanks for the help guys. I look forward to gaining much knowledge from these forums.

this thread can be closed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.