Sell old get New iMac?

U

UncSki1218

OK...i just bought a 17" imac g5 about 2 months ago. U can see the basic specs by my name. But now this new imac....what should i do. The better video card and larger hard drive space isnt a big deal to me. I like the new front row software. Do you think that it will come out for all macs. What about photobooth. The built in isight is cool but i like having a normal and being able to move it around. Should i sell mine to get a new one? If so how much could mine sell for.

OP
M

MartinAustin

I don't think it'd be worth what you lose. I'm sure FrontRow and PhotoBooth will come out eventually.

OP
U

UncSki1218

now to think about it...ill definetly stay. the built in camera inst sounding so good. cant pivot to show people stuff. and the right angle to view the screen isnt the right camera angle for everyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
FrontRow will not. It has something to do with the Firmware so it will be iMac only (until a new computer comes out that supports it)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
Front row is just software that allows you to press a button on the remote and get your pictures up, or watch a DVD, or listen to music etc - it is not really anything special

Certain graphics cards have come with the facility and similar software for ages. My PC has a remote and similar software too, and also I can listen to the radio as it has a radio card built in which works with remote/software. It is 2 years old and never gets used - I tried it out once but it is more of a gimmick, and more directed at those who would find it easier to press a remote button to view their pictures than to control the actions with a mouse.

It is also designed so that people can operate the computers with the remote in the front room along with their TV. The PC I have has a scart built in (yes a scart, not phono sockets), and also has a TV antenna for freeview channels as well as the media software as previously mentioned.

The idea behind this is to connect it via scart to your front room TV/DVD, and watch freeview and record programs with time lapse if needed (I press pause, it carries on recording, so I can watch it from where I paused an hour later after the program has finished on the TV.)

You are then using your PC as a full media centre entertainment item. It looks like Apple are moving the same way. Mine never gets used and has not even been connected to the TV. To be honest, a lot of it is gimmicky. I much prefer a standalone DVD recorder to record off the TV, and I prefer to navigate to my own pictures and music files.

If I put a DVD in the computer to watch, it auto loads anyway, so no need for all the bloated software to allow me to press with remote to play it. Some people may find it useful, but, IMHO, you are much better staying with the machine you have because if you take front row and the remote out of the picture, there isn't a whole lot of difference :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
UncSki1218 said:
OK...i just bought a 17" imac g5 about 2 months ago. U can see the basic specs by my name. But now this new imac....what should i do. The better video card and larger hard drive space isnt a big deal to me. I like the new front row software. Do you think that it will come out for all macs. What about photobooth. The built in isight is cool but i like having a normal and being able to move it around. Should i sell mine to get a new one? If so how much could mine sell for.

If you really want FrontRow and you can afford to get a new iMac, go for it. The one concern I have for you is that this past generation of iMacs isn't holding its value nearly as well as some others. I've been checking out eBay and the like, and in all likelihood you could lose as much as 35% of your initial investment. Another thing to keep in mind is this: if you get another 17", your processor will actually be 100 MHz slower. Of course, the DDR2 memory will probably make up for this slight decrease, but it's still a bit ridiculous to think you might be losing several hundred dollars only for Front Row. You should probably just go to the Apple Store or your nearest authorized dealer and check it out yourself to see if it's really worth it. My prediction: the coolness factor will quickly wear off, and in about a week or a month you'll be thinking to yourself, "I just spent 750 bucks on this little remote control."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.