Mounting an internal drive to caddy?

Reaction score
Good afternoon!

So basically my logic board packed up a few weeks ago on my macbook pro, I have bought another macbook pro, and currently in the process of extracting the old hard drive to mount in a caddy with the thought of booting from it on the new macbook pro.

Having removed the HD, i'm not sure how to mount it in the caddy (lack of ribbons/connective stuff to wire it in.)

If someone could help me on my mission I would be sincerely grateful!

Regards
Christian

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Did you open the directions that came with the caddy?

What is a caddy? I'd be more inclined to use a hard drive enclosure or a universal adapter.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt response bud.

I think a caddy is another name for a HD enclosure.
It's a 2.5" SATA/IDE ENCLOSURE.

No specific instructions came with, merely information on drivers etc.

Cheers again

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Well, there's probably several hundred enclosures out there. Very few of them are going to accept both IDE and SATA drives in them. It also came with no cable to connect it to your computer? I'd return it to wherever you got it.

If you're going to use it, you need to open it up and connect the power and data cable to the drive, close it back up, connect probably a USB cable from it to your computer if this is some enclosure that you paid less than $30 for.

Have a link for this enclosure?

OP
B
Reaction score
Booting from external issue

Having successfully mounted my old internal HD..

I have proceeded to boot with the new external HD by powering on whilst holding the option key and selecting the appropriate drive.

I am now presented with a grey screen with code etc on with the message: "you need to restart your computer. Hold down power button etc etc.."

Any thoughts on trying to get past this?

Regards
Christian

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, but "directly connect" rather than with cables? Really don't have a clue what that means.
From their page on the enclosure:

High-speed USB2.0 for quick data transfer
USB Powered - no need for separate Power Supplied
Comes complete with USB Cable, external Power Supply and User Guide
Personally, I'd be opening up the User Guide - reading the directions for opening the case and installing the drive into it - then connecting the supplied USB cable to your computer.

OP
B
Reaction score
Sorry, the HD seems to clip directly into the enclosure as opposed to a ribbon in the actual mac..

It now recognises the device etc, just having issues booting directly from it.

Thanks again
Christian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.