Clone external HD to internal HD

Reaction score
Hi there, I have recently changed my hard drive on my old iBook G4, which was a testing job. I initially cloned the original HD to the new one which was in an enclosure, using super duper! When I tried to boot up with the new HD which is now inside it just hanged and would not start. I have since wiped the internal one now. I am struggling to get the os back on it, because my DVD drive is not working, it will not read DVD discs anymore. Anyway what I want to know is, can I restore the original Hard Drive to the new one, using a tiger CD and going into Disc utility. I want to install Leopard and not Tiger, which is on the original. Thanks for any help.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have never owned a PPC Mac. But, from what I understand, it should boot from your original drive if connected via FW and won't boot to it via USB. I'd put the original drive in a FW enclosure, boot to it and reclone it back to the new internal drive. Am sure one of the PPC folks will come along and correct me if needed.

Related to your last sentence, exactly how would you think you can install Leopard from a Tiger CD?

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for that, the enclosures I have are only USB so will not be able to boot from them. They can be seen when I boot from the tiger Cd in disc utility. I wanted to know if I can restore within the disc utility. When I mentioned the tiger cd I meant I can boot from that because my iBook drive can read CDs but not the leopard DVD. So I can boot into the utilities with the Tiger Cd, I cannot install Leopard because it is a DVD and my drive will not read them for some reason. So it would be straight forward to install Tiger but not Leopard.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Leopard DVD is a double layer disk and your iBook may not be able to read those. External multi-function optical drives are inexpensive but you'll run into the same problem unless you buy one that has a FW connection.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for everyones help, I decided to buy a cheap FW enclosure from ebay. I put the original HD in that and booted from it. I cloned the new internal HD with super duper again. And this time it decided to clone properly. So it is all working as it should. Itw ould of been nice if Super Duper worked first time!! Grrr Thanks again

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
It usually does work first some. So does Carbon Copy Cloner.

I have had tat problem before where a clone made with CCC did not perform properly when I needed it. Any program can fail once in a while. That's why I recommend testing the clone by booting from it after it's completed.

OP
P
Reaction score
Yeah, normally I would double check that sort of thing. But I knew that the HD replacement would be a long job so I wanted to crack on with it. But its all good, I have learnt alot of things on this journey! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.