Indexing on startup

Reaction score
So here I am with another issue on Lion, every time I start up my MBP or restart it spotlight decides to start indexing, this only last like 15 seconds but it slows down my start up time by a few seconds and its been happening for like the last month :( any tips on how to fix this? oh and by the way I did a clean install on Lion and allowed to index everything which took about 5 hours.

2011 MBP
i5
4gigs of ram
320HDD

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Turn off indexing:

Code:
sudo mdutil -a -i off

OP
Andres87
Reaction score
Turn off indexing:

Code:
sudo mdutil -a -i off

ok I tried that and this happened

Indexing disabled.
/.MobileBackups:
Indexing enabled.
/Volumes/MobileBackups:
Index is read-only.
/Volumes/MobileBackups/Backups.backupdb:
Index is read-only.
/Volumes/Time Machine Backups:
Indexing and searching disabled.
/Volumes/Time Machine Backups/Backups.backupdb:
Error: unable to perform operation. (-405)
Indexing enabled.

OP
Andres87
Reaction score
looks like it worked, I restarted it and it didn't start indexing anymore thanks chscag :) it just sucks that this is another "feature" that i've had to turn off the other one being local back ups :(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
All the the rhetoric it displays with that command is "back talk". Actually it's going thru and resetting. To be honest, I just leave indexing off all the time. I use several other small utilities for search instead of Spotlight.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.