Is the serial number stamped on the logic board?

Reaction score
I sold a MacBook Aluminum on Ebay a month or so ago. It booted up but had screen problem.

The seller promptly told me it did not turn on. He sent it back and I am trying to figure out if he had switched out the logic board on me. Also, did the MacBooks ever come with a "Hynix" brand RAM?

TL;DR: Sold a MacBook that booted but with screen problems, buyer says it does not turn on. Trying to see if it is the original logic board.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Unless the ram had been upgraded before/when you had it, the ram should have something on the sticker that says "Apple"

As for the logic board serial #, I'm not sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
The serial number in About This Mac is the one on the logic board when you have Apple replace it I was told they can flash it back to original so if your receipt does not match then you have your answer. Apple used both Samsung and Hynix but as was pointed out there should be an Apple sticker on it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Problem is that I can't boot it now to check "About This Mac".

I don't quite understand how it can't all of a sudden boot. I should not have accepted it back, dumb move on my part.

OP
S
Reaction score
Guys, thanks for the responses.

I took the MB apart and noticed there is a DOA sticker on the underside of the logic board near the speaker.

Keep in mind, when I had it, IT BOOTED. There is no way these normally come with a DOA sticker, do they?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
In hindsight should have advertised for parts only with a problem. Then the buyer would have no comeback on you.

OP
S
Reaction score
I advertised it as bootable with a screen problem. He acknowledged the screen problem.

I advertised it "AS-IS" but still took it back. Complete blunders on my part.

I've looked at logic boards on eBay and none have a DOA sticker on it. I will bring it up to the buyer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
I advertised it as bootable with a screen problem. He acknowledged the screen problem.

I advertised it "AS-IS" but still took it back. Complete blunders on my part.

I've looked at logic boards on eBay and none have a DOA sticker on it. I will bring it up to the buyer.

Doubt he will reply now, it sounds as he took your good logic board, swapped it out with one of his bad ones, and sent it back and claimed that it didn't boot.

Crafty on the buyer's (or scammer's) part. :|

OP
S
Reaction score
I should add that I have not refunded him yet. So the game is in my favor if he truly did scam me, I have both his money and the MB.

OP
S
Reaction score
The only numbers on the board is where the RAM slots are. This number shows up no where on the box or actual MacBook Aluminum unibody casing near the battery.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for that link.

The serial number on the logic board, near the RAM slot is this: W88418GCS5W6A, that is not a searchable number

The serial number on the casing is different (3484198W1AQ). It says the laptop is refurbished. Maybe that is why it has a DOA sticker?

Then again, IT WAS BOOTING WHEN I HAD IT!! So it couldn't have been DOA! Even the original owner said it booted.

I do not want to accuse the buyer of switching out logic boards unless I am certain he did.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Suggest putting it down to experience as it is a no win situation alas. You cannot prove it was working, particularly if you sent it by mail or freight, and if it was a pick up, was it powered up when the purchaser received it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.