monitor going into power save on a powermac G5

Reaction score
I have been given a powermac G5 (1.8ghz) with out a video card. I have several cards that i have tried but when i connect the monitor to the video card it goes directly to power save mode and the screen goes blank the fans running fine and the hardrive seems to be working away . See below for the video cards i have tried

ATI Radeon 7000 PC I 32mb- flashed to a Mac rom (atleast that is what i thought.)
ATI Radeon 7000 AGP 64MB - flashed to a Mac rom (atleast that is what i thought.)
Nvidia 6600 PCI

All have not worked in my G5.

I am new to Apples so i may have missed some thing on the video cards.

Rick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not familiar with a Powermac G5 with regard to which video cards work. But I do know that flashed PC video cards are hit and miss for using in a Mac. Sometimes they work and sometimes not. It looks like you've got two cards that are not working. I'm not sure about the nVidia card but it looks like that's also not working.

Hang on for a bit and some of our members who are more familiar with what video cards will work should chime in here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The top end card for the very first PowerMac G5, which you have, was the ATI Radeon 9800 Mac Pro. Others included the 9000, 9200 and 9600. They are still pretty pricey as Mac Pro cards were sold in much less numbers than PC cards. There is one 9600 that was made that works in both Macs and PC. The cards you listed may work depending on how well they were flashed, and also bear in mind they are now some eight years old.

Also consider why the G5 came without a video card. Sounds like it may well have a mobo fault. Shame to outlay cash to find out even a newer card may not function. Do you have contact with the er? If so ask why there was no card in it.

OP
D
Reaction score
The person who gave me the Mac sold the card. He thought the mac needed a power supply but it seems to power up and run fine aside from no video.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.