lpadmin printing error with Workgroup Manager

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a MacPro running Mac OS X Server 10.5.

This uses Workgroup Manager and OD to allocate restrictions to iMacs for users who authenticate against Active Directory.

Part of this restriction and allocation is the printer queue.

I recently had to rebuild the OD and reconfigure the OD groups and access rights on the server. After doing this, any user who logs into on of the iMacs and tries to print, gets an error message: "Type the name and password of a user in the "lpadmin" group to allow AddPrinter to make changes."

I have over 800 users who need access to the iMacs. They are authenticated via Active Directory and there personal files are stored on a Windows 2003 Server.

I am trying to find a way to resolve this error, but the only solutiions I can find involve changing settings for each user on each machine. As the local profiles of each network user are deleted before the machines are shut down each evening, I am unable to make local changes.

Can anyone please advise if they have had this issue before and how they resolved it. I know that it must be relaited to restrictions being applied by the Workgroup Manager as local administrators and IT users, (neither of which are governed by the Workgroup Manager), are able to print without any problems.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Barry.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.