iPad2 vs. Kindle Fire

Reaction score
I'm going to buy a tablet for my wife for Christmas. She has an iPhone. Her desktop and laptop are both PC.

I was just reading about the new Kindle Fire. $199.00 is a pretty good price point compared to $499.00 for the iPad.

I'd like to hear from my fellow Mac-Forum members on the pros and cons of both.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You are not in the right forum..you should be in the iPad or Other hardware forum..

Either way..the Kindle Fire is getting pretty good reviews from most people..depending on what your wife would want to do with a tablet, the Fire might be a good fit or not..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
This really doesn't fit under Apple Rumors and Reports - but it will be impossible to truly compare the two until the Amazon device is actually released. Aside from generic information (like it has a dual core processor, but which one and what speed?) - we don't know if it offers Googles Android Market or if it's only Amazon's market (right now from the way it describes on amazons page, I'd hazard to guess amazons market). We don't know if it's a capacitive display or resistive (I would hope capacitive).

We know there is no 3g.
We know there is no camera.
It has 8gig of storage (which to me is really not a lot, I use at a min 24Gig of my 64Gig iPad), but appears to have no MicroSD slot for additional storage?
We know the device is geared toward cloud storage, and although can dock to a pc can it be backed up to that pc? (we don't know)

Basically, a full comparison of useability and quality won't be able to occur until the device is released. Right now the only thing people can do is speculate.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Yep, just make sure you're are aware of the forum you are posting in and you'll be fine. It makes things a lot more easy for the moderators. :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The two tablets are worlds apart. One is a high end tablet and one is a low end (I hate using that phrase) tablet with fewer features but a lower price point. The Fire is focused on content (media and textual) while the iPad is much better at doing non-media related tasks. I'd suggest you wait until people start getting their hands on the Fire and post some reviews.

You need to ask yourself what her main use will be. Answer that and the choice should become much more clear. As an aside, if she already has an iPhone, notebook and a desktop, why get her a tablet?

OP
Tfparrott
Reaction score
My bad. I have requested to have this thread moved to the correct forum.

She actually only talked about getting a Kindle as a reader. However, I'm looking at ALL of the options.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
As an eReader it looks like it could be a good option. I have the iPad2 (and iPad1 before that); if you are doing a tablet to tablet comparison, I still think (based on the little we know) that the iPad is a better solution.

But, if all she wants is a Kindle I think it is probably a good choice. FWIW I have thought about buying a Kindle myself, in addition to my iPad, but I can't get past the visually disturbing (at least to me) page transitions on the old style Kindle.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I've heard that, for the purposes of reading, nothing beats the Kindle (the non-Fire variety). The tech used in the screen makes for a very pleasant read and compared to what I've heard about the iPad as a reading device (that it strains the eyes easily), it would be no contest. Granted, I don't own an iPad so I'm only going on what I've heard but as I said earlier, you should pick a device based on what she wants to do with the tablet. Also keep in mind the screen size - the Fire is 7" and the iPad is nearly 10". The iPad 2 also weighs ~ 600g (1.3 pounds) which is considerably heavier (relatively speaking) than the Fire (414g or 0.91 pounds).

Before you go purchase it, ask her what she would do with a tablet if she had one. If she plans to do anything beyond consuming media (this includes not only movies and music but also documents), the iPad is probably a smarter choice.

One thing I didn't mention earlier is software support. There is no doubt that Apple dominates in terms of software availability and they have a proven track record of getting updates into the hands of consumers. We have no idea how Amazon is going to handle updates to the Fire and we don't know how much work they are going to put into growing the Amazon App Store and since you won't get access to Google's App Market, this might be something to think about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I have 2 iPads and a 2G Kindle. The E-Ink is better than the iPad for extended reading. It really does have the look of paper. The Fire does not seem to use the E-Ink technology - but they do have a kindle for $79 that does. I bought the Kindle because my wife claimed she didn't like reading on computer screens. After getting the iPad she hasn't touched the Kindle.

I still like reading on the Kindle better but when I'm traveling I carry just the iPad - it has the Kindle app and I can read but I can do other stuff as well.

Anyway - for pure book reading the Kindle e-ink is awesome. For everything else the iPad is better. The Fire is new to the game so who knows how it is for reading.

Lastly if you already are using Mac software and media, and the iPhone, most of that stuff can transfer to the iPad, (apps movies music from itunes), whereas Music and Movies on the Fire will be from Amazon, and you'll need to subscribe to Prime and buy music, and apps from them. There may be a way to transfer non-drm stuff over but if you have any Apple DRM you won't be able to use that media on the Fire.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have never had an issue reading on my iPad, but have been interested in buying a Kindle anyway.
But, the page transitions really bug me; flash is the wrong word since there's no backlight, but the white to black and then back I find intolerable after a few pages.
Is there a way to turn that off?

OP
Tfparrott
Reaction score
Because she specifically wants a reader, I ordered her a Kindle Touch. Thanks for the input everybody!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I have never had an issue reading on my iPad, but have been interested in buying a Kindle anyway.
But, the page transitions really bug me; flash is the wrong word since there's no backlight, but the white to black and then back I find intolerable after a few pages.
Is there a way to turn that off?

Unfortunately that is the way e-ink works. Think of it like 1/2 a laser printer. That is - it pretty much wipes the slate - then prints each page. It has gotten faster with each generation so it becomes less noticeable - but it pretty much has to clear the page - then print again. It is also why it takes so - much less power - when displaying the ink is static - the only thing that takes power is the printing of the page.

I am with you though - I don't mind reading on screens or on the iPad - but the E-Ink is definitely easier on the eyes so for long reading I prefer reading on the Kindle but it is another device and I don't carry it with me often.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately that is the way e-ink works. Think of it like 1/2 a laser printer. That is - it pretty much wipes the slate - then prints each page. It has gotten faster with each generation so it becomes less noticeable - but it pretty much has to clear the page - then print again. It is also why it takes so - much less power - when displaying the ink is static - the only thing that takes power is the printing of the page.

I am with you though - I don't mind reading on screens or on the iPad - but the E-Ink is definitely easier on the eyes so for long reading I prefer reading on the Kindle but it is another device and I don't carry it with me often.

I kind of thought that was the reason--I'm still interested in the Kindle Fire, but think I'll wait till gen 2 (if there is one) since it is significantly thicker than my iPad2.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Just ordered the Fire - hopefully soon enough that I'll get one the first week instead of having to wait 6 months as has been typical for new Amazon hardware if you're not first in line.

C

chas_m

I have great confidence that the Kindle Fire will be a fine product, but to compare it to an iPad is like comparing a scooter to a car.

The Kindle Fire, as noted above, has some SERIOUS compromises to get it to that price point. Very little storage, no 3G, no camera, and doesn't use the e-ink screen that is said to be better for long-term reading (I disagree with this but I'm in the minority).

It also doesn't have the (real) App Store, which means that there's a world of stuff you can't do with a Kindle Fire that you can do with an iPad. This may not be an important factor to people who want a "reader" pad that can do a few other tricks but not much else, but to me it's a dealbreaker, as is the fact that it doesn't run iOS (and Google are *notorious* for not guaranteeing devices that run Android an upgrade path).

If I was in the market for a device that was primarily a) cheap, b) for reading books and maybe the odd video or playing music and c) checking email and maybe facebook and that's about all, then I think the Kindle Fire could be the top choice. But one of the things I *love* about my iPad is that it keeps "learning" new tricks!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
My Fire just showed up at the office a few minutes ago. :)

o...m...g...

is this thing glossy or what!!!

They didn't have any matte screen protectors when I ordered it.
And no wifi here so I can't set it up either.
But looks pretty sweet - after I turn the lights out so I can see it instead of my own reflection.
And I don't even want to look at my reflection.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haha, other than the gloss, how is it? From the few reviews I've looked over, I hear that for $200, it's a decent tablet. The important thing to note is "for $200." I'm not saying that it's necessarily bad (I still want one) but it appears that some compromises were made in terms of performance to get it down to $200.

Found the perfect quote to sum up the reviews I've found: "Other, bigger tablets do it better -- [but] usually at two or three times the cost." Does that seem like a legitimate conclusion?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That'll have to wait until I get home. No wifi here, so I can't register it. Which consequently means I can't download any of my existing stuff to it here or do much of anything except look at the settings and open up the first page of the different areas. Can't even open up the Kindle manual or Dictionary on it without registering it first.

The screens I can get to look nice.

Come on Marware - they don't have their matte screen protectors out yet - what a drag. I was ready to order 'em overnighted. I was very quickly reminded why I don't purchase glossy displays and put screen protectors on my handhelds.

C

chas_m

The reviews of the actual shipping product have mostly been lukewarm to scathing. But it depends on what you're looking for.

If you're a severe cheapskate who doesn't need it to do anything particularly well, then $200 is $200.

If you were looking for an iPad competitor, HAHAHAHA no.

If you were looking for a Kindle with lower quality but a few extra tricks, then yeah.

A human review of the Kindle Fire – Marco.org

Amazon Kindle Fire Tablet Review | PCWorld

Just two of many. Even the people who like it load up their reviews with caveats.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That marco review is pure bs.

I like how you went out and found a couple of the most hostile reviews you could find to post here. Leave it to the "fanboys" of a manufacturer to point out how everyone else's stuff is pure junk and to be "apologist's" related to the manufacturer they're a fan of.

As a current MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, MacBook, iPad, TC, multiple iPhones, iPod and have owned an AppleTV... I won't even go into the other electronics I own (&/or have owned) by manufacturers other than Apple, I'd have to say I'm anything but "a severe cheapskate".

I guess you missed the following reviews since obviously you were only looking for reviews that back "your own" pre-disposed supposition that there can't possibly be anyone out there that could want a device that does less than what "you" need/want a device to do.

Review: Kindle Fire a worthwhile bargain - CNN.com
The overall software experience is pleasant and integrated from top to bottom... The Kindle Fire is a good entertainment device at a price that's truly unbelievable.

Even the negative reviewers have things like the following to say:

Amazon Kindle Fire Review - IGN
It’s all just one streamlined digital consumer experience that Apple, Google and others could learn from.

That's the same thought process of those that were ballyhooing against iPad because it doesn't do what a notebook does and then sat by and watched as it sold millions. Now "some" of the iPad crowd want to take up the same sort of ballyhooing about any device that doesn't do what the iPad does at 40% of the price of an iPad. Boo hoo is all I can say.

Someone looking for an iPad quite simply would "not" be looking at the Kindle Fire. Nor has Amazon ever suggested it is anything remotely similar to an iPad.

Those looking at the Fire are those that are also looking at the Kindle, B&N readers, Sony readers and want one in color. There are tons of people buying just such devices and not the latest iPad and other tablets.

Whether the Fire is a winner is yet to be seen. And I have yet to play with it enough to have come to any decision much less write up anything related to my likes and dislikes. But, we shall see. I can right now say again, that marco review is pure bs. Is he on Apple's payroll?

(edit: Guess I'll take back that anyone looking for an iPad would not be looking at the Fire since that's where this thread started out and modify it to: Anyone that's done any research at all as to what the 2 devices are designed to do would not be looking at the Fire in lieu of an iPad.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.