SSD or HDD

Reaction score
I bought a KINGSTON SSDNOW to replace my 500gb HITACHI travelstar 5k500-B2 in my macbook pro mid 2010. The SSD's boot time and applications opening time are really faster but I found that the SSD is running warmer than the HDD: 40ºC for the SSD while the HDD is has between 25º and 30ºC. When I am using the SSD the CPU load is also higher. The battery life of the MBP when using the SSD is about 1 hour less than the HDD.
I have been reading on google that SSD are better than HDD, that they save more battery power and don't get hot.
I installed the TRIM ENABLER PATCH, and other tweaks found online.
I am wondering now is I mess something? and should I keep using the HDD then and sell out the SSD?
Your advises are welcome.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unfortunately, not all SSD drives perform the same. I don't know anything at all about Kingston but it does sound like that drive may not be optimal.

The SSD drives that I and some other folks recommend are those sold by the folks at Mac Sales (Other World Computing). You can take a look at what they have to offer. LINK

For now, I would remove the SSD and put back the Hitachi Travel Star which by the way, is a good HD. I don't know if you can get a refund on the Kingston drive but you may be able to sell it on eBay or Craig's list.

OP
J
Reaction score
thanks for your reply. I would like to buy the drives you recommended but I am not in the US. I am in East Asia. I don't know if those using the same SSD on MBP are having the same problem or it is a problem or it is the drive I have which is faulty. If the drive is faulty i think i can get it replaced.

Reaction score
I have the same MBP as you.
I replaced the 250GB HDD with a 256GB SSD from Crucial.
Works great. A bit pricey though.
I use the original HDD as a back up with Time Machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.