dmg file download

Reaction score
I have just set up my brand new MacBook Pro and wanted to install Skype and other programs.

When I download and attempt to install there is error message "the disk image couldn't be opened" reason "not recognized"

I am only new to Mac so don't really know where to start?

Would appreciate any advice or assistance.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
How are you downloading the DMG files? Through Safari? Can you download a file twice to ensure they both have the same issue..can you also try Firefox, Chrome, or another browser..

OP
G
Reaction score
Yes I am using Safari, have also downloaded several times. The files were for Skype, Sophos and another 3rd party program. Had no issues downloading Vuze.

Will install another browser and try as you have suggested.

Thanks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Are you getting the right versions of Skype for example? Be sure it's a new version and not one for a power PC. The DMG should still mount though. Where are you downloading the files from?

OP
G
Reaction score
I am downloading via the company sites, e.g. Skype.com, and the current version that they have on their sites.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5in iMac
The files were for Skype, Sophos and another 3rd party program

Don't bother with Sophos! It's quite unnecessary and has been shown to actually slow the system down.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What did you end up doing?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.