WANTED: MBP...wait til 2012??

Reaction score
Hi all, first forum post aka NOOB!

I have been using Macs for 3 years now, whether it is using my girlfriend's MBP or using my university's (go hoosiers!) iMacs. I finally have the means to acquire a MBP of my own, but I was wondering if I should wait til 2012 to get the possible new redesign.

I have done my hw and have seen all the possibilities of a new redesign, but nothing in the last few months due to the hype surrounding the iphone 5. Thus I would like to know if there is any new and definite information regarding a redesign coming in 2012.

Thanks for your help!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

I have been using Macs for 3 years now, whether it is using my girlfriend's MBP or using my university's (go hoosiers!) iMacs. I finally have the means to acquire a MBP of my own, but I was wondering if I should wait til 2012 to get the possible new redesign.

I have done my hw and have seen all the possibilities of a new redesign, but nothing in the last few months due to the hype surrounding the iphone 5. Thus I would like to know if there is any new and definite information regarding a redesign coming in 2012.

Thanks for your help!!

The simple answer is...if you need a computer now...get a computer now. If you can wait till 2012...then wait until 2012.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
There's never any new and definite information until the product is released and the info is posted to Apple's website. Until then, just rumor and speculation. Agreed with Nick - if you need it now, go ahead and get it and enjoy it. Waiting for the newest hardware to come out typically causes perpetual procrastination. I've purchased computers only to see a new model 10% faster released a month later, and I was working for Apple!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook® Pro / Intel® Core™ i5 Processor / 13.3" Display / 4GB Memory / 320GB Hard Drive
I wouldn't wait not worth it to me there really isn't anything really big in the pipe line as far as the rumor mill is concerned.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice... I was just wondering if anything solid has been confirmed since all the hoopla for the last few months has been in regard to the iphone 5/4s.... I don't need it right now so looks like I am going to wait...

Any other info about a MCB redesign is more than appreciated.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
... I was just wondering if anything solid has been confirmed since all the hoopla for the last few months has been in regard to the iphone 5/4s...

Nothing is "solid" until Apple actually launches something. Only after something is launched will it be for real!;)

Other companies may confirm specific improvements before a new product is launched...Apple is not one of them.

- Nick

Reaction score
I would wait until 2014. Chances that the MBP at that point will be even faster are very high! :)

Like pigoo3 said: If you need it now, get it. There is always new systems coming out. If you wait until 2012 there will be the next one coming out after...

OP
K
Reaction score
yeah I understand; however its not the software, hard drive, or ram I am concerned about because ever 4 months there is a faster version; my concern is with the hardware because supposedly apple is going to redesign the unibody and make other "air-like' changes to the hardware.... idk I guess only time will tell. Thanks for the input

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
THIS is always a good guide.

Cheers

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
2012 will probably introduce Ivy Bridge chips, as these are due to be released the first quarter of 2012. So they will be phenomonally faster, and more power efficient.

But thats still just educated guessing.

C

chas_m

If the Ivy Bridge chips are "due to be released in the first quarter of 2012," you can safely expect that they won't show up in MBPs until the SECOND quarter of 2012 at the earliest. Apple requires MASSIVE scale these days, and doesn't just throw new chips in the day they come out.

There's rumours of a minor bump in the MBPs early next month, but it's only a rumour that's not really supported by anything solid. This is the problem with rumours, people peg their hopes on them and then get disappointed when something someone outside Apple *made up* doesn't come true and ... blame Apple for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB
Even if you wait till Ivy Bridge comes out, it aint nothing major, just a spec bump, the next big cpu upgrade aint untill Haswell.
i.e. in Intels tick tock model, Ivy Bridge is just a tick.

C

chas_m

... and if you're looking for a *redesign,* we'll probably be halfway through Obama's second term before that happens ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Honestly, I would love to wait for the new line of MBP's. However, there are 2 problems with that: no one knows when their coming out(as already noted), and the wait will probably be a while before it does come out, if you are in a hurry to have one.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)

Thanks for your help!!
You're going to get stuck in a vicious circle if you keep waiting since a new update will always be "just around the corner." If the machines, as they are now, meet your needs, go buy it.

... and if you're looking for a *redesign,* we'll probably be halfway through Obama's second term before that happens ...
Can you use that clairvoyance to let me know if I win the lottery this week?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Let me know when I do (note that I said when) - I want to be ready. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
Ivy Bridge chips will have 3.0 USB connections on them or so the current information is. If that's something that will influence your decision, you might want to think about it.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Even if you wait till Ivy Bridge comes out, it aint nothing major, just a spec bump, the next big cpu upgrade aint untill Haswell.
i.e. in Intels tick tock model, Ivy Bridge is just a tick.

Whatever you want to call it, its gonna be a significant improvement on Sandy.

Intel's tri-gate transistor technology, which will significantly reduce power consumption[11]
PCI Express 3.0 support[12]
Next Generation Intel HD Graphics with DirectX 11, OpenGL 3.1 and OpenCL 1.1 support. The built-in GPU is believed to have up to 16 execution units (EUs), compared to Sandy Bridge's maximum of 12.[13]
Next Generation Intel Quick Sync Video[13]
The new random number generator and the RdRand instruction[14] which is codenamed Bull Mountain.[15]

The wikipedia page speculates 20% CPU performance increase, and 60% GPU increase. which is good, cause the integrated GPU in Sandy is shocking.

C

chas_m

Also of note: there's absolutely no indication whatsoever from Apple that they will support USB 3 anytime soon. They might, of course, but bear in mind that Apple makes its own motherboards -- it does not use Intel logicboards, so whatever Intel does or does not including on their own logicboard designs tells us nothing about what Apple will do.

My guess would be that Apple will eventually support USB 3, but not the first day the Intel board do so. As I recall, Apple waited quite some little while before supporting USB2.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.