Strange "Chick" Noise - NOT HARDDRIVE

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

2011 Macbook Pro 15" running OSX 10.7.1 Lion.

This is my first ever post so be kind. I have searched, and found nothing. Maybe my searching skills aren't great. I apologise in advance if this has been covered.

Basically, I am getting a strange "chick" noise from my speakers at a reasonably regular interval. It is not a hardware noise. It is a software noise. It is definitely a digital sound coming from the speakers.

The bizarre thing is, this used to happen on my Windows machines. I can't believe it's happening on my Mac too.

1) No it isn't a hard-drive click when I move my Mac suddenly.
2) I have no speakers plugged in. It's coming from the regular, built-in speakers.
3) A week or so ago I was having an issue where after having headphones plugged in, when I took them out I no longer had audio. The volume buttons just caused the 'muted' icon to display on screen.
Going to Utilities -> Audio MIDI setup showed there were no sound devices installed.

At the advice of a forum somewhere I went to Library\Preferences\ and changed \Audio to \Audio-old then rebooted. Apparently this is a fix. It fixed the problem. I now no longer have this issue. However, now I'm having this bizarre intermittent "chick" sound. It occurs around every 15 minutes. I should time it.

I know that last paragraph will get me flamed for sure. "WHY CHANGE SETTINGS WITHOUT KNOWING WHAT YOU ARE DOING?" etc. What can I say? I'm a tinkerer. I followed the instructions to resolve an audio issue.

Does anyone have advice? Has anyone ever had this before? Is it possible to "reinstall" audio drivers on a Mac? Or is it possible to run some sort of maintenance?

Cheers all!

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Fixed title although I have no doubt that a "chick noise" would get this thread a little extra attention. ;)

Edit: Changed it back since after closer read - I guess you meant 'chick' - but I have to admit, I have no idea what a 'chick' noise is.

OP
M
Reaction score
Fixed title although I have no doubt that a "chick noise" would get this thread a little extra attention. ;)

Cheers mate. I appreciate it. The funny thing is though, it sounds exactly like "chick!". I've googled click noises and all I get are foaming, rabid threads about dying hard drives. I was hoping someone would google "chick" noise lol!

Still, I'll wait and see what people say. I've searched high-and-low. Creating a profile and posting a thread was the only course of action.

Thanks again :)

Piers

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Cheers mate. I appreciate it. The funny thing is though, it sounds exactly like "chick!". I've googled click noises and all I get are foaming, rabid threads about dying hard drives. I was hoping someone would google "chick" noise lol!

Still, I'll wait and see what people say. I've searched high-and-low. Creating a profile and posting a thread was the only course of action.

Thanks again :)

Piers

I changed your title back - since I saw you reused the term in your post. Can you describe the noise a little better - or perhaps post a recording?

I find it very interesting that you've experienced this on your Windows machines previously. Leads me to believe it's either environmental or perhaps some common audio SW that you have running on both machines?

Do you get this noise if you take the MBP to another location - say a library or coffee shop?

OP
M
Reaction score
Edit: Changed it back since after closer read - I guess you meant 'chick' - but I have to admit, I have no idea what a 'chick' noise is.

I know, it's hard to describe.

Um...well, a click noise is sharp. This noise isn't so sharp. Imagine the word "chick" but without pronouncing the 'i'. So it's like "chck".

Blargh! That makes no sense. Hopefully someone will have had the same issue :\

OP
M
Reaction score
Do you get this noise if you take the MBP to another location - say a library or coffee shop?

Yes, I get it at my office, at home, on my desk at home etc. Everywhere. It's very odd.

I genuinely cannot think of a piece of software that could be causing it. I can try to get a recording of it at some stage. I might leave the laptop on the desk with my phone recording some time.

Not sure when I'll get around to it though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Out of curiosity, if you open System Preferences->Sound and go through the various alert sounds, does it sound like any of those? Particularly "Tink" and "Frog."

Have you ever installed or played with a 3rd party clock app that might "chime" on the quarter hour?

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it occurs regardless of location then it has to be some sort of common software between the machines.

Reaction score
I have the same problem

I found this by searching "chick" sound because that is the only way to describe it. I had the same experience - other searches turned up "your hard drive is fried" posts. This is my first MacBook Pro and at a seemingly regular interval, my mac makes a "chick" sound. maybe more like "chi." it sounds a little bit like a cricket if a cricket only made a one syllable sound. It's almost like my mac is reminding me that it is on. Has anyone found an answer to this? I'm not really concerned that it is a problem - more curious than anything.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Someone should post a video or soundclip...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Me too !!!!! And I worked out what it is.

Hi MacPiers

I just upgraded the hard drive on my MacBook yesterday and when I got it home I found that it was making that same 'chick' noise. Good description by the way. That's exactly what it sounds like. Anyway, I timed it and it was about every 2 minutes for me which is what my automatic send/receive setting was for Entourage when I was using it. I had started using Outlook and it must have copied the settings to that and if you go into the send/receive schedules and 'Notifications and sounds' and untick the 'No new messages' box, it stops. Press the PLAY triangle and it's the chick sound!!!!

No more 'chicks' on my MAC. Sad but true.

Hope this helps.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahhh - is that the sound in question? I've gotten so used to it - it's just Outlook running through it's send/receive process - and the more accounts you have - the more 'chicks' you hear...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Yes. If you live in a household full of girls like I do, the less extra 'chicks' you have to listen to the better!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
Okay, normally I'm someone who would prolong wisecracks and jokes at every opportunity, but I have to apologize for being a buzzkill. :)

By any chance, is it possible your speakers are simply picking up some interference?? Like cellular signals or other signals????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
???????

Nope? Like I said, it was the default send/receive sound when you have no new mail in Outlook. Finished.

Reaction score
Unreal! I have searched for months for the ticking noise issue, and like you all, found the faulty hard drive. Tonight, for whatever reason, I googled "chick" sound, and found this post. peterin, you are spot on. It turns out, I switched to Outlook from Mail about the same time, and never occurred to me that the tick or chick noise on my Macbook Pro, coming from the speakers, was a notification sound. That has to be the most annoying noise ever. And now, thanks to you guys, it is gone! Thanks!

Reaction score
HOLY CRAP!! I have been suffering with this nuisance of a noise too when I switched from Mail to Outlook, and also found annoying "faulty hard drive" resolutions. Thanks to you, I have solved this issue too! Cant believe it alerts you when you have NO New MAIL ??? What kind of stupid feature is that Outlook!! I am soo relieved.
THANK YOU AGAIN! I spent 10mins looking for my mac-forums username/password just to thank you for this resolution, thats how happy I am!! :)

Reaction score
I am having the same problem.

Only thing is...I am not running Outlook.

Its a soft "chk" sound that comes from the internal speakers or in my earphones if i have them plugged in.

If its not outloook...then what is it?.
It's not Mail as i have turned that off have still heard it afterwards.
I THINK its skype...when i turn it off its seems to stop. Then u never know as its rather random.
Also i have checked all the sound settings to off in skype prefs... so i dunno.

stumped!!

Reaction score
It's Messages

Hi all,

This thing was irritating me as well. But after reading this thread, i realized that i started getting this sound only after i had enabled my gmail account on messages. See by default, messages is configured to play a sound when ever any of my buddies either signs in or out of gmail(gmail is what i am using, but it would apply to any account that you have configured to messages) i was getting the chichk sound.

Now to get rid of this sound, you simply have to go to messages>prefrences>alerts
Once in alerts, uncheck the 'play a sound' checkbox for the events, Buddy Becomes available and Buddy Becomes unavailable,:Blushing:

For all those who still are confused about the chick sound, they can check it out by doing the same thing as mentioned above, but instead of unchecking the play a sound checkbox, select the already selected value by clicking on the dropdown and again clicking again. You should get a preview of the sound.

Cheers.

Praise him with the strings. \m/

Reaction score
fixed the chck scratching sound Outlook 2011 for mac

OK,

I had exactly the same problem, was able to narrow it down where I heard the sound only when Outlook was running. I have a macbook pro retina screen, solid state hard drive, so I knew it wasnt a drive or a fan.

Anyway, the chick sound is outlook checking emails and not downloading anything.... and when you have several email addresses, that chick sound happens a lot, and in groups of 4-5 of them.

So here is how to get rid of it:
Go to Outlook > Preferences > Notifications & Sounds

You will then uncheck the box that says "No new messages" box, and that annoying chick sound will disappear!

Hope this helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.