Snow Leopard Networking problem (DNS issue)

Reaction score
Hi.
I have huge problem with my MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard OS.
It have happened before, and clean reinstall of OS have helped, but it is not a way to do tyings on mac ;)
Everytime when I close mac's lid, turn it off, or disconnect it from internet (for example change from lan to wlan) interneto doesnt work for about 5 to 10 minutes. Local area network does work, I can also ping my router, other network computers and any internet host if I know ip adress, but pinging anything by hostname results in hostname not found.
Does anybody knows how to fix this issue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
What DNS servers are you using? Can you ping them? Try 8.8.8.8 as a test. (Google public DNS)

What if any AV or Firewall software are you using? Some AV firewalls will quarantine an IP address for a period of time.

OP
C
Reaction score
I'm using DNS servers provided by my internet provider.
But its not a dns server issue, becouse all other devices in network (PC computers, iPad, iPhone, Android Phone etc) works great :/. The problem is somehow limited to mac's comunication with dns serwer (or some local dns cache if there is any).

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Moved to a more appropriate forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
To clear local DNS cache:

sudo dscacheutil -flushcache

Try to statically assign your IP settings including DNS. Then close the lid. Assuming that your connectivity issue will begin this point, manually change your IP to the next available to see if connection is restored. If so, change it back the the original to see if connectivity becomes an issue again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.