Password Protect a Hard Drive

Reaction score
OK, I'm new here and need advice on a very specific issue that might sound a bit strange.

I'm a graphic designer who has recently parted ways with a client. I've suggested that in return for payment on a final invoice, I would hand over an external HD with all past and present project files. I'm concerned that once I hand over the drive, they might put a stop payment on my check. They are concerned that I won't put everything on the drive. I've asked for a cashiers check; they are balking.

I'm wondering if there is a way to protect myself by password protecting the drive, only handing over the password once their check has cleared?

I should add that the client is a small IT hardware manufacturer, so I wonder how effective password protection might be?

I'm running OS 10.6.8 and would dump the files to a 1.5TB La Cie drive provided by the client who, would be running this drive off a PC. Any advice or insights would be most appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Simply tell them due to copyright the hand over will take place when payment is cleared.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.