• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple may discontinue the iPod shuffle and classic

Reaction score
Apple may discontinue the iPod shuffle and classic

We've been sitting on a tip for a while until things came into greater focus, but now that the speculation meter has exploded (see this CNet story), it's a good time to tell you all what we've heard. It seems that the "product transition" Apple mentioned on the last earnings call could very well be within the iPod line. Specifically, if you want to buy an iPod shuffle or iPod classic from Apple, you should do it sooner rather than later. We've heard those two iPods are getting the axe this year.

It makes a lot of sense, but only partly due to the numbers CNet mentions. The classic is a holdover from 10 years of iPod existence, bearing many similarities to the original iPod. The shuffle is basically the same form factor as the nano, minus a screen. The classic uses a platter-based hard drive, while Apple is largely transitioning to flash-based memory solutions. The shuffle's lack of a screen has been an issue since it first appeared as a memory stick with music playback functions. If Apple killed these off, all of its iPods would have touchscreens, and something tells me it wants it that way.

Obviously we can't divulge our source, but it is NOT an analyst. Most of us listen to analyst predictions with the proverbial grain of salt (or bag of salt). We feel pretty confident that Apple will soon discontinue the shuffle and classic, and we see few changes coming for the iPod touch -- unless you're super excited about it being available in white. The nano will then become Apple's lowest-end iPod (we've heard nothing about a price drop, however) and the iPod touch will remain a premium iPod with its current form factor intact.

Apple may discontinue the iPod shuffle and classic originally appeared on TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Tue, 27 Sep 2011 21:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Source | Permalink | Email this | Comments

Read more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Looks like I need to pick up another couple Shuffles then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
Hopefully at a discount!

Reaction score
OK, then I'm going to keep my classic, this will be a collector item in the next 50 years, LOL.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
This is unfortunate news. I don't know a single person that didn't think the iPod nano redesign with a touchscreen was a huge mistake. As nice as a touchscreen interface is for app-drive devices like the iPod Touch and iPhone, it's impractical and less functional than the old click wheel for a pure media player, particularly for the sort of person that wants to control it while it's strapped to them or in a pocket while doing exercise of some sort. If the Classic and Shuffle are truly doomed, I hope Apple at least restores the nano to its former glory.

Reaction score
Time to pick up another Classic or two... I don't want a 64GB touchscreen system for $400 when I can get 160GB of storage for movies, music, and personal files, for $250.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
I have several Nano versions and several Shuffles, including the one without controls. They have their pros and cons, but I tend to use the Shuffles a lot more often than the Nanos.

I don't have the latest Nano yet. Tempted but somehow there seems little point. The screen is too small to be of much use and without that it is not really that different than the latest Shuffle :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
I really like the iPod classic, and the older Nano with the click wheel, I was never a fan of touch screening in the first place. Sure, it's alright on the iPhone and iPad, but the new Nano's tiny screen makes it look very impractical.

That being said, I also am a tad disappointed that the shuffle might get the ax. It seems perfect for people who only want a small music player, and it has a cheap price (for Apple anyway) of only $49.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
particularly for the sort of person that wants to control it while it's strapped to them or in a pocket while doing exercise of some sort..

I've had my shuffle turn up with a dead battery and be 'stuck' with my iPhone on a couple rides... It's so bad trying to control the thing on a bike that I'll simply skip it. Which really sucks on long climbs. Ohhhh and the shake to shuffle thing? Well, a bump'll set it off

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Just got the wife a Shuffle for her birthday and we still use a 5.5 gen 30gb iPod so I might have to pick up a classic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
give it a couple of years and the iPod will be dead, gone.....forever.
mark my words ladies and gentlemen...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
I've had my shuffle turn up with a dead battery and be 'stuck' with my iPhone on a couple rides... It's so bad trying to control the thing on a bike that I'll simply skip it. Which really sucks on long climbs. Ohhhh and the shake to shuffle thing? Well, a bump'll set it off

As I said in the post, I was referring to the traditional click wheel controls found on the iPod classic and previous versions of the iPod nano. I never really got the market for the shuffle. Even for its supposed target demographic, I feel like the nano (not current incarnation) has always been a better option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As I said in the post, I was referring to the traditional click wheel controls found on the iPod classic and previous versions of the iPod nano. I never really got the market for the shuffle. Even for its supposed target demographic, I feel like the nano (not current incarnation) has always been a better option.
I prefer the shuffle, I really don't need or want to see what's playing.. the iPod itself is stuffed into a jersey pocket. I just need a UI that I can use without looking at it, so by feel. Even a click wheel doesn't do this well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I prefer the shuffle, I really don't need or want to see what's playing.. the iPod itself is stuffed into a jersey pocket. I just need a UI that I can use without looking at it, so by feel. Even a click wheel doesn't do this well.

It still does it less badly than a touchscreen does. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
:(

^ That was going to be all for my post, but my message was too short.

:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I'd be really disappointed if they discontinued the iPod Classic. It's the only iPod that can hold my entire music library. I can't be the only one who needs or wants a dedicated music player. People keep saying I can just store music in the cloud but I don't want to be at the mercy of an internet or cell phone connection to listen to my own music. The whole point of a music player is to be able to listen to my music anywhere, any time.

I will definitely buy at least one extra Classic if they stop making them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It still does it less badly than a touchscreen does. ;)

True, but with the current shuffle UI, at least I can feel the buttons. Touchscreen, on a bike at least, is just a recipe for disaster. Like I said, I'll invest in 2 or 3 more shortly and leave them NIB until I need them

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just (last evening) purchased four Shuffles. I had to exchange one of them this morning because it was DOA (bad battery). If you buy some Shuffles to keep for later on, be sure to check them first to see if they'll charge up. Here in the Fort Worth area they're already in short supply. I had to call around to several Best Buy stores to find them in stock and with the right color.

Reaction score
I still have my 30 GB 5th gen iPod video. I have roughly 2k songs...and that keeps growing every year...so eventually...I'm going to have to find a different way for music if Apple no longer supports large music/media libraries through physical storage. (Though there is iCloud...)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.