Macbook - keys not working

Reaction score
I have a white Macbook '07. Suddenly the majority of the keys stopped working. Some of the keys type the wrong letter/number.

I had cleaned the keyboard an hour prior with lightly moisted paper towel.

What happened? What can I do?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did any water from the paper towel drip down in between the keys? Turn the machine upside down in a warm place for several hours with the lid open. Do not turn the machine on and remove the battery. Let's see if it dries out enough to get the keys working again.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi! No, no water went into the keyboard. It's been over 12 hours now, and nothing has changed...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Did you hit the Num Lock button? I think it's the F6 button on older keyboards. It'll change the right hand side of the keyboard to numbers or mathematical symbols.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Then the other thing I'd check is the Language & Text (I think it's International in SL) system preference, Input Sources tab, and make sure you're still using the US or US Extended keyboard format and a different keyboard format wasn't accidentally selected.

OP
C
Reaction score
I restarted, and I need a password to log back in to my account in order to change settings. But I can't type in the correct password due to the keys being this way!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.