Reformat Recovered Stolen Laptop

Reaction score
Hi guys,

over a year ago, I had my 13inch MBP stolen from me. By using Prey Software (link), I was able to track it consistently, and contact the police. Today I finally got my laptop back! :D Anyways, the perp managed to delete my account somehow, and created a new user under him that is password protected. Id obviously like to reformat it, but I cant seem to figure out since its password protected. I have the install DVDs from my newer replacement MBP (thunderbolt), but id like to reformat the retrieved one and give it to my family.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What kind of password are we talking about? The normal admin password or a firmware password? The admin password is easy to work around if you have the original install media. A firmware password is a different matter.

OP
K
Reaction score
Its the admin password. When I go to disk utility, i cant seem to select the partition I want. I think its becuase of the admin password. Overall, I dont have the admin password. The original install media is at home, about a five hour drive away. However I have original install media from my new MBP, with the updated Thunderbolt port. WHat can I do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
FYI, the install discs that came with your new MBP are specific to that machine only. They won't work with any other Mac. If you ever intend to wipe and re-install the OS on your recovered Mac, you'll need the install DVD at your home 5 hrs away.

OP
K
Reaction score
None of that worked :( , thanks though. I still have access to my original install of windows that I have running through bootcamp (which I guess the thief didn't know about). Would it make sense to reformat my OS X partition though Windows, and then boot from an OS X DVD? Or even worst come to worst, buy another copy of Lion and then install from there?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That should have worked. Several who did not have their install DVD's have done that with success. Did you follow all the steps?

Yes, you can either get the $29 Snow Leopard or Lion but you will have to make an install DVD or Flash drive of Lion on your other Mac.

here is a video on how to remove the password. See if this helps. If not, guess you need a DVD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6ApGKYICes

OP
K
Reaction score
For some reason, when I followed along with the video, it worked, though I swear I didn't really change anything...odd. Either way, it worked, so thank you so very much! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.