• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

AVCHD a problem?

Reaction score
I'm about to buy a new camera. It takes HD video in AVCHD format and I was told this could be a problem. Should I be worried or is there a program to affordably deal with this? I've got a 2010 MBP.

C

chas_m

iMovie accepts some kinds of AVCHD (sadly, there is no standard for it). Other kinds can be converted fairly easily by programs like MPEG Streamclip.

My rule of thumb is that if the camera is AVCHD and made by Sony, AVOID!!
If the camera is saving AVCHD to mini-DVDs, AVOID!!

Other than that, have a look at this list:
Apple - iLife '11 Help - iMovie '11 Supported Cameras

OP
T
Reaction score
Pretty much decided on the Sony just wondering about the video. Would be nice to keep using iPhoto and iMovie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
Your not going to have a problem on the photography side.

OP
T
Reaction score
I don't anticipate problems on the photo side but haven't had a hd video cam before. There are some convertors out there but I want to have something easy to use

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
See post #2....No first hand experience with Sony..but if you have to...converting will get old quick....

Reaction score
Copying an AVCHD Disc

Here's the deal: A friend filmed one of my children in a play and gave me copies on DVD and on AVCHD(DVD).
I can make copies of the regular DVD, but have not found a way to make copies of the AVCHD disc (which plays in my BluRay and on the iMac with VLC).

Can I make copies of the AVCHD disc on my iMac? I want to give some copies to some of my relatives that have Blu-Ray players since4 the AVCHD quality is far superior to standard DVD.

How???!!
Thanks in advance- Tom :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Try using Disk Utility(in the Utilities folder in your Applications folder). Select the disc in the sidebar then click on New Image.

To then burn that disc image to another dvd, drag the image to the bottom half of the sidebar, and then click "Burn".

Reaction score
Yeah I use that to copy the standard DVD.
On an AVCHD it craps out about 2/3 the ay through.

Need another way!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.