Activity "youtube download" downloads?!

Reaction score
Hey everybody, first off im new to this forums. pretty excited to have joined.

Anyways, to cut to the chase.

The past couple of days I've been trying to find a way to have some type of Youtube Downloader for the Mac.

But i Heard you can download through the Safari Browser, by going to a youtube video. then clicking on the windows tab, then selecting on Activity. and double clicking on the active download (eg: 1.2 of 12mb) link. (i use Google Chrome).

So i went ahead and went on youtube (on Safari), then did that....

After doing so, all it did was open up the video link in a new video playback window??

but my brothers macbook pro does otherwise and downloads right away with the downloads window...

what is my macbook pro doing, or what do i need to make sure i have or plug-in, software or NOT have in order to download through the Activity on Safari just like my brothers...

*btw, he has the core 2 duo, & i have the new i7. we both have 13'', snow leopards, same safari versions.* if thats any help..

PLEASE HELP...kudos..

diamondzlast

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved your post here to the "Switcher" forum since you're new to the forums. Also you'll likely get more replies here.

C

chas_m

I can't say why his is behaving differently, but there's an extension available for Safari called Fastest Tube that adds a download button right to the YouTube page ... can't get any easier than that, and it costs nothing.

OP
D
Reaction score
thx..me and my brother actually found that and i have it downloaded.

but im still trying to figure out how to download youtube vids or links through the Activity's window?

bump pls.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Since Safari 5.1, that Activity window download does that. Not sure it they broke it by accident or deliberately, but it's broke. Every Mac with Safari 5.1 here whether Snow Leopard or Lion has done that since the day the new Safari installed.

I would suggest what Chas recommended or use Firefox with Download Helper.

Edit: I just tried Fastest Tube that Chas recommended and it's GREAT. Highly recommended.

OP
D
Reaction score
I downloaded the Fastest Tube. and it does work great. but thank you for clarifying about the Activity window.

BUT my brother also has Safari 5.1 and his is still able to download.

Mine just opens a video playback window of the video.

but i guess ill just stick w the Fastest Tube which works and does exactly what i needed the Activity download for.

Thanks everybody.

diamondzlast

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is your brother running 10.6 Snow Leopard or 10.7 Lion? Are you running Lion?

Also the Activity window does not let you choose the quality like fastest tube does.

OP
D
Reaction score
Not quite sure, I'll have to find out and get back soon.

All I know is that he has the previous Macbook Pro 13" Core 2 Duo Model..

The one before the new i7 Macbook Pros (which i have).

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yours is 10.7 Lion correct? I have a dual boot setup here. I will boot into 10.6 SL and see if Safari 5.1 does the same thing there.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just booted in to my Fully Updated Snow Leopard with Safari 5.1 and the activity window does the same thing as in Lion. Brings up the video in another window with a player.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi,

I have no issues with downloading from YT in Safari 5.1 on both SL & now Lion. All I do is highlight / select the MB download file I want, then hold down the (fn) key and double click trackpad done.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Funny as that does not work here on 3 different macs in SL and 2 with Lion all with Safari 5.1. Are your OS's totally updated? I have read it all over the net with people complaining about this.

Reaction score
I just went to 3 different sites, activity window works, here is one.. Just double click and it downloads. Lion.

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi,

I have no issues with downloading from YT in Safari 5.1 on both SL & now Lion. All I do is highlight / select the MB download file I want, then hold down the (fn) key and double click trackpad done.

Wait...I just downloaded a video by the activity's window...

but instead of using (fn) key...mine worked by holding Option key...

except my download window doesnt pop up..it sits in the background...which is not helpful at all.

hmm..lemme see if songs ive tried to download before are in my download file...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know very well where to click. Since all the updates went in on 3 different macs that work perfect, all it does it open a player window instead of starting the download. I can find 1000's with the same issue. Safari works fine otherwise.

Really I can care as with the activity window you are stuck with a FLV and not the higher quality ones I can get on other downloaders.

OP
D
Reaction score
yeah...i was only trying to figure it out..if it worked or not.

mine did work using the Option Key..have you tried it dtravis7?

anyways, im fine with the fastest tube app...best..

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Option key here nothing opened. Before the last update it worked fine just double clicking on the file in the Activity Monitor holding no keys.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.