Not sure how to title this...

Reaction score
Basically here's the setup...

I have a Mac Mini that is my main computer.

I just bought a MacBook Air today and want to install boot camp on it but I don't have an external drive.

I have Boot Camp isntalled on my mac mini and I want everything to sync up with mobileme (i have the service).

Can I do something similar to a Time Machine data transfer where everything on my macmini just gets cloned to my new macbook air without having an external hard drive? For instance via bluetooth, or wireless data transfer?

I basically want to do a time machine of my mac mini onto my new air, but i don't have a hard drive. Any options here...?

EDIT: Other option is, is there a way to use my mac Mini as a CD/DVD drive and hook it up to my macbook air to install windows from? (I have an install DVD).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can transfer your data, documents, applications, and settings to the Air by using the Migration Assistant or Time Machine. I recommend using Time Machine. However, you can not transfer partition information and Windows from the Mini to the Air. You need to install from start.

Use a flash drive to install Windows. Note that your new Air can only run Windows 7.

OP
T
Reaction score
I know, but can I do this without a hard drive is my question? Will I be able to wirelessly transfer data straight to the mac mini without a time machine drive?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, it's not possible to clone from the Mini to the Air via wireless. If it were, it would take you a month of Sundays as wireless transfer is slow. It is possible, however, to transfer data and documents using the Air Drop feature of Lion but you won't be able to transfer everything. And, both the Air and Mini would have to support that feature.

Buy an external hard drive, they're inexpensive and convenient. You really should have one on hand for Time Machine backups anyway.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.