Odd printing results

Reaction score
Blacksburg, VA - home of System X, making your pow
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 DA 466 MHz
I have an hp deskjet 5850 (wireless networked printer) and have been using it with my pc problem free for about a year by now. However, when I try to print from my mac, it prints several pages of random text at the top of the page. I have tried re-installing drivers and generally messing with it in many different ways. I have been reading reviews of the printer to confirm the fact that many have used it with OS X problem-free. Can anyone think of what i could be doing wrong?

OP
RChickenMan
Reaction score
Blacksburg, VA - home of System X, making your pow
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 DA 466 MHz
If anyone has any capacity to address this question I would really appreciate it. It would be unfortunate if I had to ditch my iBook and go back to windows over something like this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
If the first page of your many pages of output says something like "PostScript" or "PS" then the drivers you loaded are not behaving correctly. It's trying to print using the default PostScript driver.

I did a quick Google search on your printer model and saw that other people had to download the latest drivers from HP in order to get it to work properly.

If you've already done that, I would suggest connecting the iBook directly to the printer via a USB cable and see if it works that way. That way, you'd be able to eliminate anything with network printing as the issue.

Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.