how to partition ehd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" laptop 2009, 2.26GHZ intel core 2 duo, 4GB ram, iphone 4gs 64GB
Hello, I saw a post that said you could partition an ehd so part of it can be time machine back ups and part could be storage. Could someone please tell me how to do this? and thanks
Barbz

M

MacInWin

Use Disk Utility to do that. It's pretty intuitive, start the application, select the hard drive, select partition and away you go. I'd make both GUID and MacOS Extended (journaled).

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Only make both partitions HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) if you plan on only using Macs. If you want to use the storage partition with Windows, it needs to be FAT.

Take a look at this article for instructions.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok I have it partitioned and renamed the partitions..copied some files to the storage part but when I go to do a time machine back up to the other partition it says
Time machine could not complete the backup. The backup disk is not available.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think I got it thanks so much...could someone tell me the difference between a back up and time capsule? thanks for all the help

C

chas_m

A Time Machine backup is a software-based solution for backing up to an external hard drive directly attached to your Mac.

A Time Capsule is a hardware device sold by Apple that is a combination of wireless router and network hard drive, and supports wireless TM backups from one or more Macs and PCs.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks so much. All I need is a time machine back up for my mac!
Barbz

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.