Stop Lion Mail.app from stacking messages

Reaction score
Is there a way to stop the stacking in Lion's Mail.app? I can see where it would useful in some circumstances, but I would like to go back to non-stacking.

Thanks.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There is a way. Let me check. Be back.

Not sure if this is what you are talking about but try it. Under View on the Toolbar, look for Show Related Messages or Hide Related Messages. If it says Hide, click it. See if that does it for you.

If that is not it, let us know.

Edit: Either that or Organize by Conversation is checked under View. Uncheck that.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks, that is what I'm talking about. Mine shows "Show Related Messages" and is greyed out. I am running Mail in the classic mode. What I would really like is to get rid of the toggling triangles all together. I prefer messages be sorted by Date Received and only that.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Mine is NOT in classic mode BTW. Mine are being sorted by date. Again in View, and Sort By.

OP
J
Reaction score
Its seems even in the non-classic mode, it still hides messages, or at least puts all messages with same subject in a group and you have to expand each group to find a message from a specific person. I would like to find a way to get rid of the toggling triangles.

Thanks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
something must be wrong as I can turn that off by the command I mentioned. I have no triangles here. and they are sorted by date. All in the View menu.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Think I found it. Again View. Do you have Organize by Conversation checked? If so, uncheck that.

That works for sure. Just confirmed it.

Reaction score
Stop Lion Mail.app from checking 'organize by conversation'stacking messages

It seems that Lion keeps checking 'organize by conversation' even after I un-check it. It works great for a while then somehow it gets checked again...happened many times now. Strange. I am the only one using this computer and it has a password. It seems that Lion is re-checking it....that sneaky cat. :Smirk: Any ideas why this is happening.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.