• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple's Thunderbolt Display doesn't play nice with Mini DisplayPort !!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Apple's Thunderbolt Display doesn't play nice with Mini DisplayPort !!!!!

Apple's Thunderbolt Display doesn't play nice with Mini DisplayPort

What is really going to rub folks the wrong way, we suspect, is that the Thunderbolt Display is not configured to work with a miniDP display plugged in to its Thunderbolt port. It wouldn't be surprising if more than one user with an existing 27" Cinema Display or other miniDP display got a Thunderbolt-equipped Mac and ordered a Thunderbolt display expecting to be able to add the miniDP display at the end of the chain.

I did read Discerptor's thread on the Anandtech reviews of the Thunderbolt Display but thought this needed a thread of its own. If not Admin please merge it if its needed.

Cheers

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hey Tattoo....

I'm not worried mate, I can't even afford one 27" Thunderbolt display, and am certainly not going to worry about daisy chaining it to a 27" Cinema display that I likewise can't afford. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I was gonna' say... Considering that a monitor is 1k a piece, and that we won't see peripherals such as external HD's come down from their steep price for another year or more (if that), these aren't being marketed to us, the common folk.

Also, I'm sure that they'll resolve this with an update in the future, after they test the market for a bit. Though I have to say, at this point I'm fairly confused as to why they'd even bother integrating TB ports on all of their MacBook's seeing as how only professionals can afford to utilize it right now. I'd have left out the 13" machines and the MBA's all together. And maybe would only have put them in the high end 15" Pro's and the 17" and the Mac Pros.

By doing that, they could have cut costs that would have trickled down to the consumer. Or maybe I know nothing.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
The MBA's actually make sense. You've effectively added USB, FW and ethernet ports with the Thunderbolt display. This makes a LOT of sense. Just depends on the market. I work with a few people who use MBA's for travel/day-to-day, but would LOVE faster networking and real peripherals.

I'll umm.. maybe wait till the USB ports are 3.0. Would I appreciate the added flexibility/convenience? Yep, just can't quite justify it now.. especially when they'll replace it in less than a year with faster USB ports (is my guess, and I'd LOVE that). Now, wish list on that thing? Hey can I get an 1/8" audio out and a CF reader? ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.