Safari and RAM usage

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
Just checking activity monitor, and noticed that Safari is using over 90Mb of memory! That is an awful lot for a browser. Off to find an alternative to compare. Does anyone else running Safari find it uses this much?

FWIW I have one Safari window open, no tabs, etc...

EDIT: Checking Opera usage is only 25Mb - big difference from Safari.

I really like Safari too :baron:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, 14'', 1.33 Ghz, 60gig, 768ram, Mac OsX 10.4.3
mine uses about 30mb..
i had to open around 8 browsers to get 90mb...

OP
Kyomii
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure what is happening then?

Shira uses 30Mb on testing, Firefox uses 35 Mb

Just loaded Safari again and at the moment it is using 21 Mb?

The longer the browsers are open though, the higher the ram usage goes.. Strange it reported 90Mb, I am going to keep an eye on it :p

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I think sometimes if you open a LOT of tabs or windows it can get that high. I have had Firefox on XP creep up to way over 100Megs with just 2 tabs open over time. Firefox used to have a BAD memory leak in the Windows version which they say is fixed, but still my memory usage in FF on the PC creeps way up there higher than I think it should. Only closing it and reopening it brings it back to normal. I have found Safari in both in 10.3.9 and 10.4.2 to be not that bad in memory usage.

What version of OSX are you running? For sure with just one tab open mine in Tiger does not get anywhere near that high.

Edit: Am on an iMac 333 that I just installed a new Flyback Transformer and testing it out. In Panther 10.3.9 and Safari is at around 25Megs usage with just Mac Forums open.

OP
Kyomii
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi, I am rinning 10.4. I had two tabs open earlier. but closed them wAY before opening acitivity monitor. :baron:

Safari has been open 5 minutes and has gone up to 26MB from 21. Going to keep on Mac forums and see how often it creeps up. No tabs open, just one window.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Kyomii said:
Hi, I am rinning 10.4. I had two tabs open earlier. but closed them wAY before opening acitivity monitor. :baron:

Safari has been open 5 minutes and has gone up to 26MB from 21. Going to keep on Mac forums and see how often it creeps up. No tabs open, just one window.

Have you updated 10.4 to 10.4.2? There were some bugs in Tiger when it first came out. If you have not updated I would suggest doing so. Safari had a few fixes in both .1 and .2 updates.

OP
Kyomii
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes sorry, I should have said it is 10.4.2

5 minutes or so later and safari ram usage has now creeped up to 38MB :D

A few seconds later and it is now just over 39 MB - has anyone an idea what could be wrong? I think I may delete the prefs file and try again perhaps?

OP
Kyomii
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, a couple of minutes later it is now up to almost 50Mb. has anyone any idea what could be causing the problem? Still only one window open on MF.com. Any advice would be appreciated thankyou... :)

OP
Kyomii
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think I have found the problem although not sure how to solve. Every link I click on the memory usage goes up a little.

I thought about this, and related it to the cache. So, I empty the cache, and yes, its usage went back down to 32Mb from 55M. So the cache is the problem. How can I solve it?

OP
Kyomii
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Turned on private browsing thinking that would solve the problem - but no. Been surfing via safari for 3 hours and memory usage is 160MB :( There must be some leakage somewhere....

By the way, it is the same on all my systems too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
I heard that there might be a leak 10.4.2 created, so it may actually be the operating system. Luckily, all sources say 10.4.3 is nearly complete. Hopefully they fix the issue if it's there, and hopefully they make 10.4 actually start working seamlessly with samba servers.

OP
Kyomii
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Discerptor said:
I heard that there might be a leak 10.4.2 created, so it may actually be the operating system. Luckily, all sources say 10.4.3 is nearly complete. Hopefully they fix the issue if it's there, and hopefully they make 10.4 actually start working seamlessly with samba servers.

Thanks for that Discerptor, I do hope they fix it soon. 10.4.3 will be the next OS won't it? I hope it is sorted before then :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.