• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

New Mac malware variant surfaces, poses as PDF

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
We’ve written in the past about not clicking on links or downloading attachments in email messages from people you don’t know, and about unchecking Safari’s Open ‘Safe’ Files After Downloading option (Safari -> Preferences -> General); as long as you practice common sense, you should be safe from most malicious attacks
This continues to be, by far, the worst "feature" of Safari especially when one considers that it is checked by default. No other browser has such a feature enabled by default and for good reason.

So even though Trojan-Dropper:OSX/Revir.A may not pose an immediate danger, it is a reminder that you should stay alert and take sensible precautions in case it—or something like it—morphs into a real threat
Where have I heard this before? I'll give you a hint...it's me. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I thought with the last update to Safari that "feature" was now unchecked by default...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
That might very well be - I can't remember if I went and unchecked it or if it was like that by default.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
This continues to be, by far, the worst "feature" of Safari especially when one considers that it is checked by default. No other browser has such a feature enabled by default and for good reason.

Not sure. I do know for sure at one point it was not being checked but in Lion it was on both installs. One Snow Leopard I did for a friend Clean Install on new HDD did not have it checked. It should NEVER be checked. There is no reason for it to be! They should eliminate that checkbox.

Where have I heard this before? I'll give you a hint...it's me. ;)

And a few others here! :D Grin Me too! (Dennis takes off his Foil Hat)! :D

@Baggss, I thought so but the last two Clean Installs of Lion had it checked.

Reaction score
Thanks! Didn't know about that. I have unchecked it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I just checked my XProtect.plist, and there's an entry for OSX.Revir.A.
XProtect.meta.plist indicates the last update was downloaded to my machine Fri, 23 Sep 2011 18:03:15 GMT.

So this has been neutered already. Not an issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.