Just some install questions ..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17", 2.8 GHz Intel, 4GB - Anti-Glare w/2 3tb lacie externals .. creative suite is my mistress
Hi,

I have a macbook pro 17", bought it 2009.

It came without the install discs - everything was setup and ready to go. The reason he did this was because he figured if there was any problems we would take it to him in the future. What I thought was a good idea at the time.

Anyways, so now we moved away and I want to update/upgrade my computer. I bought snow leopard install discs and it says to have my original install discs if something should happen.

I want to completely erase everything off my HD and start brand new! All my files and apps are in an external drive and I'm ready!

BUT - I'm concerned that something might happen. And, it's not like if something goes wrong I could drive to a mac store - as I live in a isolated remote island in northern canada.

So, if someone could assure me that I'd have no problems installing Snow Leopard and completely erasing my hard drive to do so - that would be great! .. lol .. Should I be worried even? ..

thanks!

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17", 2.8 GHz Intel, 4GB - Anti-Glare w/2 3tb lacie externals .. creative suite is my mistress
hey again ..

so after some googling I found out how to do a 'clean install'.

the only problem is I get stuck on the first step .. which is to boot off the install dvd.

in the installer, i press utilities - i press restart - i enter my password .. then it says:

"Couldn't install Mac OS X.

The connection to the remote install disc was lost. Check that this machine and the machine sharing the remote disc are still connected to the same network and try again."

I have no idea what it's talking about. I've google'd the message but could not find anything.

why the **** does it need a remote disc? ..

This is the only computer in the house ..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi,

I have a macbook pro 17", bought it 2009.

It came without the install discs - everything was setup and ready to go. The reason he did this was because he figured if there was any problems we would take it to him in the future. What I thought was a good idea at the time.

I'm confused. We went from "I have a macbook pro 17", bought it 2009."...to..."The reason he did this was because...".

Seems to be something missing in the order of events.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
You should not be worried, but no one in their right mind would ever guarantee anything will be OK when it comes to computers.

I would suggest either a full Time Machine backup or imaging the HD with Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper. That way if things go south you can restore to the image and be back to where you were before the upgrade should you get less than desirable results.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.