Web Cam

U

UncSki1218

I have a two year old Sony camcorder. To be more precise it is a DCR-TRV350. It is designed to use as a webcam for windows by means of usb streaming. But as you all know, mac webcams neeed firewire. Luckily it has a firewire output so i plugged it in. After putting it into camera mode (with a tape inserted but not recording), it worked prefectly. Instantly i started a video chat with my friend. It was all going great until about 5 minutes later. Seems that my camcorder has some auto off feautre. I cant seem to find how to disable this. Is it possible? Was it just luck that it works as a firewire webcam? Please help as i do not want to throw down $150 when i have a some what operating webcam.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I don't think you can disable it on the Sony camcorders. Get a cheap tape and just press record when you start it, stop it when you are done and rewind to tape over it the next time

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
ya have been having the same prob,
dont have to keep recording just click for a few seconds every 10 mins or so

OP
B

badmojo

Alternative....Logitech Quickcam 4000 w/ iChatUsbCam software (Google it). The Macs will utilize a USB cam that costs considerably less than the iSight. Works pretty darn good IF you have a fast broadband connection.

Reaction score
same prob with my camcorder been tryin to figure that out for yearrrrs

OP
P

prodikal

dont mean to highjack the thread, but speaking of webcams is the iSight worth anything?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.