Reinstalling OS X Lion 10.7

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 13", iMac G4, eMac G4, PowerMac G5, iBook G3, Mac Mini G4, iPod Classic, iPadAir2
Quick query really,

About a year ago, I installed a 1.5TB hard drive into my 2008 iMac as I required extra storage space and decided I didn't want an external drive. I currently have Mac OS X Lion 10.7.1 installed on the machine which was done as an upgrade from Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8 via the App Store.

Next week, I will be buying a new PC and I want to put this 1.5TB drive into the PC to use as storage, and reinstall the original 250GB hard drive into the iMac.

If I do this, will I be able to reinstall Mac OS X Lion 10.7 on the machine without needing to purchase the software again? It's all the same machine, just different hard drive.

Cheers,
Mike

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Linky. Search function is your friend. ^-^

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 13", iMac G4, eMac G4, PowerMac G5, iBook G3, Mac Mini G4, iPod Classic, iPadAir2
Thanks, I did have a quick look but I mustn't have been putting the right terms in :\

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
From our OS X Lion FAQs:

After installing Lion, the installation icon is missing. How can I reinstall Lion?
During installation of OS X Lion the installer is automatically deleted from your Hard Drive.
To re download Lion:
1) Launch the Mac App Store;
2) While holding down the OPTION key, click on PURCHASES. OS X Lion INSTALL button should now be gray;
3) Click on INSTALL to re-download Lion (you may have to re-authenticate within the App Store with your Apple ID).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
What I have found odd, after second download and following directions to burn to a thumb drive which was successful and the drive is bootable, the Lion icon is once again deleted from the Applications folder so there is no chance of keeping a copy there after installing or making a thumb/DVD copy.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The best way to avoid "losing" the Lion installer is to move it out of the Applications folder right after downloading it. You can install Lion from anywhere, it doesn't have to be from Applications.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.