Mac Pro Heat Issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
We have a Mac pro server (2006 Model). I am aware that there was problems with heat on the early Mac Pro systems. I am noticing the Memory is running at the temps; 59˚C, 59˚C, 60˚C, and 54˚C. I am not sure is the one that is lower can be considered normal. Also, are these temperatures high, low, or normal?

The other thing that I am unsure about is the CPU temperatures are running at about 31˚C where both of the heat sinks are running at 36˚C. I know that the heatsink being lower is bad (most likely not touching) and being close is normal, but I have never seen it higher before. Is this normal for this system?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Wow, the CPU's are cooler than average human body temperature (and cooler than ambient air temp will be outside today). Your hottest temperature is only 60ºC (140ºF). None of these temps would cause me any concern.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
We have a Mac pro server (2006 Model). I am aware that there was problems with heat on the early Mac Pro systems.

I used to have a 2006 1st generation Mac Pro...and never had any heat issues. I don't think that over-heating was ever a wide spread problem.

It is always possible (since this computer is a server, lots of hours running, and is around 5 years old)...that it could be really clogged up with dirt/fuzz (reducing/restricting cooling air flow)...or maybe one of the fans have failed/worn out.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Another who has never heard of Mac Pros over heating like the G5's did. As Nick says, give it a good clean and download smcFanControl if you think it is necessary. 31ºC is precisely what my upgraded X5355 CPUs run at and that is not excessive by any means.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
Ok so what i am getting from this is those temperatures look normal?

The reason i would be concerned is that this mac pro is kept inside of a closed cabinet that is wall mounted, meaning less area on the cabinet for air vents. There are only 4 fan vents on this cabinet; one is blocked off, one has a fan, and the other two are open. I thought this would make everything run high.

As for the overheating issue, it was the northbridge heatsink that was a common problem which on this one runs at 70˚C Normally, people say it is not concerning unless of 70 if i remember correctly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well you have answered your question. Keeping it a cupboard will not assist air flow whatsoever. Suggest at least 8" free space all around the Mac Pro, clean out the grilles and fans, particularly the grille in front of the optical drive, and remove front fan situated in front of the processors, and then the back fan behind the memory box.

Personally I clean the fan units by removing, clean the grilles, pry up the seals in the centre of the fan units and lubricate with a drop or two ONLY of WD40 and replace seals.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 Xeon 6gb DDR2 1TB OSX Server
These temps are nothing to get too scared about, like everyone has recommend, an open environment and a good cleaning with some compressed air will do the trick.

Personally I don't understand why they have the CPU exhaust heat blow right through the memory banks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.