PowerPoint 2011-Help importing style template

Reaction score
I'm new to Office 2011, and need help with how to import a style template for PowerPoint. I've already downloaded the style that I like, but I'm not sure how to import it into my existing slideshow (to change the theme). I've searched everywhere, but can't find the steps I need to take.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Let me see If I understand you correctly... You downloaded a new template for Powerpoint which has a style that you wish to use in an already existing Powerpoint file? Please clarify.

OP
O
Reaction score
Yes, that's correct. I have an existing presentation that I want to change the style of. I have a template (style theme) that I have downloaded, and am just wondering how to import it from my downloads into my existing presentation. Wondering if I need to move the file to a specific folder within the Microsoft Office folder in my Applications folder? I vaguely remembering having to do something similar with a Word template I had downloaded.

Hope I haven't made my question more confusing!

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not certain about specific style themes, however, a template that you downloaded should go here:

/Users/your user name/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/User Templates/My Templates/

A rather long hierarchy but that's where all user templates other than what were supplied by MS should be placed. In Windows they get downloaded and installed automatically to the correct folder.

As far as adding the new style template to an existing PPTX, I'm not sure it's possible without copying the old PPTX to a new PPTX based on the style template you downloaded.

It's possible I'm not understanding what you're trying to accomplish. If so, I'm sure someone else will jump in here and answer.

OP
O
Reaction score
PowerPoint 2011-Help Importing style template

Thanks so much for the information. I'm pretty sure that it will work once I move the downloaded file into the folders as you suggested. If not, I'll post back on here again. I appreciate the help!! :)

pbw

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the information. I'm pretty sure that it will work once I move the downloaded file into the folders as you suggested. If not, I'll post back on here again. I appreciate the help!! :)

Did you ever get this to work? I have exactly the same problem, and it seems to be hard to get people to understand what you want to do, although it is an obvious enough requirement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A few, ranging from an SE/30 to a recent MacBook Pro. Also, a Newton MP130, and some SGIs for kicks.
Did you ever get this to work? I have exactly the same problem, and it seems to be hard to get people to understand what you want to do, although it is an obvious enough requirement.

I know this is a fairly old topic, but since it's not completely answered, and it comes up every now and then, I thought I'd post my solution to the problem.

The original poster wanted to apply a PowerPoint template to an existing PowerPoint presentation. More accurately, perhaps, the original poster wanted to apply the Styles/Themes from a template to an existing presentation.

The "right" way to accomplish this is to do the reverse: instead of "applying" the template to the existing presentation, use the template file to create a new, empty presentation, and then import the slides from the existing presentation into the new, empty presentation. When the slides are imported, they will take on the format of the template.

Note: you may need to select all of the imported slides in the "Slide Sorter" view, then click on the "Layout" button on the "Home" tab, and then click the "Reset Layout to Default Settings" button for all of the template formatting to apply to the imported slides. I don't know why that's the case, but it seems to work that way.

Reaction score
Thank you so much! You nailed it!

I know this is a fairly old topic, but since it's not completely answered, and it comes up every now and then, I thought I'd post my solution to the problem.

The original poster wanted to apply a PowerPoint template to an existing PowerPoint presentation. More accurately, perhaps, the original poster wanted to apply the Styles/Themes from a template to an existing presentation.

The "right" way to accomplish this is to do the reverse: instead of "applying" the template to the existing presentation, use the template file to create a new, empty presentation, and then import the slides from the existing presentation into the new, empty presentation. When the slides are imported, they will take on the format of the template.

Note: you may need to select all of the imported slides in the "Slide Sorter" view, then click on the "Layout" button on the "Home" tab, and then click the "Reset Layout to Default Settings" button for all of the template formatting to apply to the imported slides. I don't know why that's the case, but it seems to work that way.

Thank you for taking the time to provide an answer to this question. Your instructions work beautifully, and now I can meet my deadline!!! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A few, ranging from an SE/30 to a recent MacBook Pro. Also, a Newton MP130, and some SGIs for kicks.
Thank you for taking the time to provide an answer to this question. Your instructions work beautifully, and now I can meet my deadline!!! :)

My pleasure! I'm glad that the solution worked for you! :Cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.