The iPod is Dead

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
do you believe this will ever happen?

To me the iPhone does everything the iPod does and soon the price of an iPhone and the advantages of owning an iPhone will be such that why would you bother to buy an iPod anymore..

now then, here is the point of my question - should we all buy an iPod and keep it boxed in the hope that one day, very soon it will become a collectors item..

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Seeing how a new iPhone costs $600, i would imagine there were always be a market for a quality mp3 player that costs a whole lot less than that...

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I agree with Jaygray - and in addition to that - there are quite a few shades of iPods that suit varying purposes. For instance, back when I used to swim regularly - I used a shuffle which sat in a watertight box attached to my goggles. While true - if you have an iPhone (which not everyone does) the iPod touch is a bit redundant there's still room in the market for the iPod.

I defintely don't see those becoming a collector's item in your lifetime. Collector's items need to be rare, at least to be worth anything, and considering the number of iPod's Apple has sold - I don't think any iPod save perhaps the prototypes will be worth collecting anytime in this century.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
do you believe this will ever happen?

Yes. I believe this will eventually happen. However, I don't think it will happen anytime soon. As Brian stated, the various iPod for factors fill too many holes too well right now. It's also profitable for Apple. Someday, when someone can reliably crank out and market a portable electronic media player that does a better job addressing some new or existing issue for an acceptable price, the iPod will quit selling well and cease to be profitable. Apple will then quit producing them. It won't be this Christmas though.

OP
j0nb0y32
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
....ok, thanks.

i still have my old one circa 2003 with 4 buttons on it and as per the posts above, it will now be given to my daughter..

thanks

J

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
....ok, thanks.

i still have my old one circa 2003 with 4 buttons on it and as per the posts above, it will now be given to my daughter..

thanks

J

I was just going to say as long as there are children that obviously don't need a phone iPods will sell. I still use mine for the ability to hold more songs and when I just don't need to be around a phone. But I bet when they do offer a 64GB iPhone it will no doubt bite into iPod sales.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
To me the iPhone does everything the iPod does and soon the price of an iPhone and the advantages of owning an iPhone will be such that why would you bother to buy an iPod anymore..
iPod Touch (32GB): $319 over a three year period.
iPhone 4 (32GB): $269 + 3 year contract (on the cheapest plan) = $2609.

Yes, there will always be room for the iPod. Not all of us need an iPhone nor do all of us want to incur a monthly cost for such a device.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I really need an iPod with buttons. The touch screen interfaces SUCK if you're doing something where you can't spend time looking at the interface. Hence, while I love my iPhone... for what it is.. I use my square shuffle more often.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.