Entire line of dead pixels?

S

Saul

I've had my iBook G4 for about six months and everything has been fine. It has been used regularly at home (I have a PowerBook at work) and I've been very gentle with it (I don't think it's actually left the house once!).

Yesterday, what I think is a line of disfunctional pixels appeared vertically on the screen as soon as my iBook booted up beyond the initial white screen, and has remined there whenever the computer is on.

I've run a dead pixel check on it, and it seems to be red and blue pixels that are constantly 'on' (with a solid green screen the line appears white).

I can't find anything on apple.com to help me, beyond a vague statement about small numbers of dead pixels being just bad luck.

Anybody had this problem before? Am I right in my diagnosis or is it potentially something to do with the ribbon feed running from laptop to screen?

I'm guessing my best bet is to take it into the Apple Store and get them to sort it, but would prefer not to have to bother as the queues at the London store are just silly....

Thanks in advance for your help.

S

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Well seeing that it is only 6 months old take it to the apple store (go early or late to avoid q-ing) and get it fixed under guarantee. It may be trouble with your ribbon cable but DONT mess with it you will void warranty

OP
S

Saul

yeah that sounds like the only option really. never fear, i wouldn't dream of trying to tinker with it myself at this stage with it still being in warranty.

btw glad to see you flying the g4 cube flag - my favourite mac design i think, although the cube i had at my last company wasn't too happy a lot of the time, and the flat monitor was particularly problematic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Typically, a line of dead pixels means your LCD display is going bad.

You're under warranty. Get thyself to Apple. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
The world is an imperfect place. It's not "impossible" for an LCD to go bad in the space of six months.

I've been in IT for almost 25 years and believe me, it happens.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.