Can't reinstall Mac OS 8.1

Reaction score
Hello I am very very new with the mac stuff. I recently got a ibook blueberry and the previous user tried to install linux on it however they did not finish so now it has half an install of linux on it where i get an error that it cant find a boot file and then it stops so i cant do anything with it. so i was going to install mac os 8.1 back on it but when i put the install disk in the drive and try to boot from the disk it does not boot from the disc it tries to boot linux. so I tried holding the option key and it does not register that the install disc is in the drive but it does register the linux on the hard drive. if i can i would really like to get this figured out with out having to take it to a mac repair store and they want $180 to diagnose it and install an OS. So if anyone could help me figure out what is going on that would be much appertained.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

With the full retail version of 8.1 install disc in, you are holding down 'C' after the chime? If this is the case sounds like the optical drive is shot.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
so i was going to install mac os 8.1 back on it but when i put the install disk in the drive and try to boot from the disk it does not boot from the disc it tries to boot linux.

No iBook ever released was able to run Mac OS 8.1!

Depending on exactly which iBook model you have...the earliest Mac OS that is "run-able" is OS 8.6 (and only the 1st Generation iBook "Clamshell" models could do that).

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
My bad. Of course Nick is correct. OS 9.2.2 is the go so you will need to look for that disc.

OP
S
Reaction score
The ibook is the first gen clamshell to come out and the apple care people could only help me ( so they say) by telling me i needed to reinstall 8.1. I would think that it is the optical drive too but it will recognize the linux cd i have i just cant install that cause the min requirement for it is 512mb of ram and this only has 32mb. plus i want to try out mac os.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The ibook is the first gen clamshell to come out and the apple care people could only help me ( so they say) by telling me i needed to reinstall 8.1.

Again...OS 8.6 is the oldest OS that can be installed on an iBook "clamshell" laptop.

OS 8.1 is too old! You can install a newer OS version...but OS 8.1 is too old (not compatible).

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
okay so I got a hold of a os 9 install disc and it does the same thing.

Ok...OS 9 is a better choice. Is it OS 9.0, 9.1, or 9.2?

Do you happen to have an OS 10 install disk of some sort?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
got any friends with a mac?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ideas any one?

Back in the 1st post you mentioned pushing the "option" key to get the computer to boot from the CD.

Have you tried holding down the "c" key? This is the key I usually use when wanting the computer to boot from the optical drive.

- Nick

p.s. Just realized Harry suggested the same thing earlier in this thread. :) @Stinky_Cheese: Still would be good to know if you tried it.

OP
S
Reaction score
mail
Oh k so I don't know what i did that was different but i am able to boot from the disc and when i try to install 9.2 it gives me and error it says " Sorry, a system error occurred. unimplemented trap." and then it makes me restart. What does that even mean? And how can i reinstall mac?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.