Can't restore all my desktop files from time machine!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook (refurb), 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2 GB Memory, 60GB HDD
I accidentally cancelled the time machine restore process on my desktop folder during the middle of it, which left me with an empty desktop. I then tried to go back into the time machine again to restore my old desktop, but after a while it comes up with the error message:

"The operation can't be completed because you don't have permission to modify 'Desktop'."

I'm logged in as admin, I typed in the correct password, and I don't have any weird modifications to my system - very standard.

Like a lot of people, I've got ALL of my important work on my desktop. Please help - how do I recover it?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I've discovered a workaround. Just individually select the files on the backed up desktop and restore them that way. I'm still confused and slightly concerned that I can't back up the desktop directly, but at least I've got my files back again. Hope this helps someone in the future.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Glad to hear you recovered OK. I usually do not recommend keeping a lot of files or folders on the desktop for several reasons:

1. They can be easily accidentally erased or moved.

2. Lots of files and folders on the desktop while convenient, can delay the boot up process and generally slows things down.

If you're a former Windows user, keeping a lot of stuff on the desktop is a habit that's hard to break.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks chscag. To say I was relieved when I discovered this simple solution is an understatement!

I keeping my files on my desktop, especially my active projects, to prevent the out of sight, out of mind syndrome. But also I find it more efficient to have things spatially organised rather than hierarchically.

I'm probably not as organised as you chscag!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not a problem, we all don't do things the same way. Anyway, as I stated, glad you recovered. Have fun and visit often.

Reaction score
I did the same thing!!

but every time I try to individually restore it tells it will restore but the files will remain hidden because i don't have the proper permissions...HELP!!

Reaction score
Can't restore all my desktop files from a time machine! Let’s see

Click System Preferences -> Time Machine

Select show Time Machine in the Menu bar.

When you are in Time Machine, open folder that has multiple files and restores that you want

Use the dial on right to navigate back through time until the item will not restore or show in folder.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I understand the compulsion to keep current files and projects on the Desktop especially if you are a converted Windows user or still use windows in say your workplace but the macOS finder does provide an alternative which is what I use. As we can see the macOS Desktop is not the most secure place to keep important files or data.
You can create a folder, name it say, My Current Stuff.
Put the folder into the Documents Folder ( it can be any folder but I chose the Documents Folder).
Now click and hold on the new folder and drag it to the sidebar of the Finder Window under Favourites.
Now whenever you have the Finder Window open you can see your folder in the sidebar.
Now open your new folder and choose Icon View rather than a list.
You can also set the Finder Preferences to open this folder on launch.
So now any time you launch the Finder you will see the contents of your new folder in icon view.
Of course it's not as pretty as the desktop and it's a little smaller but you are much less likely to loose your data.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.