Macbook Pro 2011 Hard-drive

Reaction score
Hello all!

Basically I'm considering upgrading the hard drive in my MBP. Its currently using the standard 500GB one that it shipped with. Im just a little confused as to the process of doing this.
From what I see on the internet, its fairly easy to do and people saying that doing it my self won't void my warranty. Is this actually true?
Second, if its not true, do you guys have a recommendation as to a company who can do this for me? Im aware that a third party will perhaps also void my warranty, but what about these 'Authorised Resellers' that I see everywhere?
Sorry for the noob'ness, I'm new to the Macbook world :)

Thank you
Chris

OP
C
Reaction score
Forgot to say I'm in the UK. But thats cool Razormac, thanks. At least I know where to go now. So getting them to do it for me won't kill my warranty?

Thank you
Chris

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Changing out the hard drive in your 2011 MBP is a fairly easy do it yourself task. It won't void the warranty but any damage you incur swapping it out will be at your own expense.

Keep in mind that you will have to prepare the new hard drive after installing it. That means formatting it and installing the operating system. There are other things that should be done: Backing up the old hard drive with Time Machine and then restoring from the Time Machine backup after the new hard drive is installed and the operating system placed on it.

If you would rather have someone do the job for you, it's best to take it to an authorized Apple dealer or your local Apple store.

OP
C
Reaction score
Chscag that clears things up so much!
I think I'm going to go down the Apple dealer route. Ill give them a call tomorrow.

Thank you very much! Much appreciated
Chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.