Older Apple id on iPod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 9/3/10 OS X Mavericks 10.9.1 Firefox 26,0 iPad, iPod Touch
My iPod Touch has an older version of my Apple id which prevents access and purchases from iTunes store.
How can I make the id be the same as on my iMac?
Thanks,
Bill

Reaction score
On your iPod you should be able to open iTunes. Having "Music" selected, scroll all the way to the bottom where you should see the used Apple ID. Tap on it, sign out and sign back in with your new ID.

Hope that helps!

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The new id entered was greeted with this msg "This email address is already an Apple id" but did not accept password.
Many attempts including changing the email address has brought me way past frustration, maybe near despair.
Visiting Apple ID Support I found this:
"An Apple ID lets you personalize your Apple experience. Once you've created an Apple ID, you'll use it to access Apple resources where it's helpful to identify yourself. From Apple Discussions to iTunes to the Apple Online Store and everything in between, Apple ID is your passport to the extended Apple experience."
So I'm wondering why with the amazing technology the Apple id can't be synced to the iPod as everything else?
Any new suggestions are welcome.
Bill

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It's always a pitr when people register multiple Apple IDs. Don't do it.

Go to:

Settings
Store
select the Apple ID at the bottom
Sign Out
Sign in with existing Apple ID

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry to be a pest but,The iPod still doesn't allow my password from Apple id.
I cannot sign out as suggested in other posts. The sign-in screen looked like this:
Sign in
Use existijg Apple id
Create new Apple id
Cancel

When I select Existing Apple id a screen appears with an entry box and keyboard.
After entering password it remains in the window and a progress wheel keeps Loading non-stop.
If I create a new id it says that email address is already an Apple id, then it goes to password entry screen and after entering pad the screen just returns to the password entry screen again.
Why should I have to invent a "new" email address?
What am I missing?
Bill

Reaction score
Assuming you own the existing Apple ID that you are trying to use, you should go to iTunes on your computer and try to reset the password. It seems like that's all that's wrong right now.

Click on iTunes Store and you should see your Apple ID in the upper right. Click on it and a password dialog comes up. Click "Forgot Password" and reset it. Then try this Apple ID and password on your iPod.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have done that numerous times w/o success.
Need to find source of iPod password help that allows pwd with genuine email address.
thanks,
Bill

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sorry to be a pest but,The iPod still doesn't allow my password from Apple id.
I cannot sign out as suggested in other posts.

Can't sign out because you're already signed out or you wouldn't be getting this screen:

The sign-in screen looked like this:
Sign in
Use existijg Apple id
Create new Apple id
Cancel

You need to be using the:
Use existing Apple ID

When I select Existing Apple id a screen appears with an entry box and keyboard.
After entering password it remains in the window and a progress wheel keeps Loading non-stop.

how long is non-stop?
I "assume" you are connected to a wifi network when you're trying this?

If I create a new id it says that email address is already an Apple id

because you're trying to set up a new ID with the email address you already have setup with your Apple ID. Not going to happen. Quit trying that one. Do not create another Apple ID. Really bad idea.

Go here and reset your iTunes account.

Then make sure you can log into the store in iTunes on your computer.

Then try it on your iPod.

If that's still a no go: then, I'd do a restore to the device.

If you want to try that, open up Settings, General, Reset - and hit Reset All Settings. This will leave your content, but it's going to reset your network, bluetooth, your iTunes log in, etc. all back to default settings.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First let me say the problem no longer exists, in case you don't want to hear the details, you can log off.
Following is for benefit of those who may have followed this thread with similar problem.
I called my Apple Care service which I have for the iMac. A recorded voice gave instructions to go to iTunes Support for help.
A second call resulted in being transferred to iPod agent. Then referred to iPod Touch agent. Agent said a $29 charge would apply since my Apple Care did not cover iPod. I chose to buy Apple Care for iPod but it is not available for purchase online in Florida. Promising to buy at Apple Store in morning we proceeded with an exception to the rules.
After supplying the info that was covered in above posts, he said that shouldn't happen. We walked through the same screens as before with same result ending in a password entry screen where characters were displayed as is instead of asterisks. Hitting ok on that screen just returned the same screen.
He said the screen should show id and password but it only showed password box.
We were cut off due to a telephone drop and I returned after not being able to contact him again.
Then for some unknown reason the screen he said should be there was there and after putting in my id and password it worked as it should.
Wish I could tell you why but I have learned not to question good results, just accept them. Good luck to those still having a similar issue.
Many thanks to those who offered help.
Bill

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.